48x22.5x26 can it be done without euro bracing???

TragicDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Looking to make my own tank, but I want to be sure I’ve got the glass sizes right.

can I do the front, back, and bottom in 3/4” and the ends in 1/2” without any need for euro bracing? (Tank measurements are in the post title.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no issue with the thickness although the 3/4" bottom is probably overkill a bit, 1/2" is more than likely plenty. And 5/8" might be a little easier on the wallet for the longer panels as well. Both Red Sea and waterbox make tanks close to that size and they are in the 1/2"-5/8" range of thickness.

I'll say that I am by no means a tank builder so I'll tag a few others here who can give you a more accurate picture on your needs.

I'll also ask to confirm as this will change my answer a bit is that 22.5" tall and 26" wide??? Or the opposite???

OP
OP
TragicDog

TragicDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no issue with the thickness although the 3/4" bottom is probably overkill a bit, 1/2" is more than likely plenty. And 5/8" might be a little easier on the wallet for the longer panels as well. Both Red Sea and waterbox make tanks close to that size and they are in the 1/2"-5/8" range of thickness.

I'll say that I am by no means a tank builder so I'll tag a few others here who can give you a more accurate picture on your needs.

I'll also ask to confirm as this will change my answer a bit is that 22.5" tall and 26" wide??? Or the opposite???
22.5 wide. 26” tall.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
22.5 wide. 26” tall.

With that height, I'll have to change my original suggestion back to your thoughts. Definitely need the 3/4" on the longer panels. I would say at that height your still borderline eurobracing territory and most manufacturers would suggest it. Any particular reason you want to stay away from the bracing?

@lapin any thoughts here?

OP
OP
TragicDog

TragicDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that height, I'll have to change my original suggestion back to your thoughts. Definitely need the 3/4" on the longer panels. I would say at that height your still borderline eurobracing territory and most manufacturers would suggest it. Any particular reason you want to stay away from the bracing?

I love the look of a true rimless tank. That's really the only reason not to do the bracing. Purely aesthetics.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of a true rimless tank. That's really the only reason not to do the bracing. Purely aesthetics.

Another option, albeit more pricey, is to do a one piece eurobrace.

I've had plastic rimmed and rimless tanks and for my new build I wanted to do the eurobracing, while I too absolutely love the look of a rimless tank, the amount of wiping the glass I have to do with it far outweighs my desire to have it again. I also don't particularly like the look of regular eurobracing so I opted for a one piece. All I can say is it's stunning and turned out even better than I thought it would.

Just something to think about anyway. I don't think you'll have any problems with using the 3/4" on the longer panes and 1/2" on the ends. Just keep in mind the panels will be pretty heavy when you're working with them. :)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree somewhat. I would use 3/4 all the way around.
You could go thinner on the bottom.
My reason is if you are not a experienced tank builder you might not get everything perfectly square and the perfect amount of bonding agent between the panels. The extra thickness gives you a bit more surface area on the seams.
If you look at aquariums on builder sites like below it will give you some idea of what they would use.

OP
OP
TragicDog

TragicDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option, albeit more pricey, is to do a one piece eurobrace.

I've had plastic rimmed and rimless tanks and for my new build I wanted to do the eurobracing, while I too absolutely love the look of a rimless tank, the amount of wiping the glass I have to do with it far outweighs my desire to have it again. I also don't particularly like the look of regular eurobracing so I opted for a one piece. All I can say is it's stunning and turned out even better than I thought it would.

Just something to think about anyway. I don't think you'll have any problems with using the 3/4" on the longer panes and 1/2" on the ends. Just keep in mind the panels will be pretty heavy when you're working with them. :)
Do you have any pictures of that single piece eurobracing

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with 3/4 all the way around. The thickness isn't really to help prevent bowing on the sides, it is to get a larger bead of silicone to hold the front on.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of that single piece eurobracing

I absolutely do, excuse the dry tank :p
20190527_144620.jpg
20190917_190615.jpg
20190528_183155.jpg
20190527_141240.jpg
20190527_144656.jpg

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a 48x36x 22 y’all tank made. The tank builder wouldn’t go above 24” high w/o a brace. Question to ask.......
Is a failure worth a couple inches or bracing? How hogh is your stand going to be? Will bracing be noticeable?
I’d get bracing if I did it again. Hated cleaning water off the outside of the glass

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH

Amazing bracing and great size - Who built your tank?

Miracles Aquariums out of Mono, Ontario, Canada is the builder, they did a great job and Derek is excellent to work with. :)

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Miracles Aquariums out of Mono, Ontario, Canada is the builder, they did a great job and Derek is excellent to work with. :)

Thank you - Were you hit with Customs fees/duties once it crossed the border?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is absolutely stunning! I really like the single piece euro.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I live in Canada so no customs fees for me, but I'm certain they would be negligible in a US customers case due to the currently low Canadian dollar.

That tank is absolutely stunning! I really like the single piece euro.

Thank you very much, I love it too and am so glad I got it.

Sorry @TragicDog I hope I didn't derail your thread and my apologies if I did...

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
@JoshH

Appreciate your help and quick responses. One more question or three...for now hehe.;)

How thick is the glass on your tank, how thick is the brace and did Miracles polish all edges?

OP
OP
TragicDog

TragicDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Canada so no customs fees for me, but I'm certain they would be negligible in a US customers case due to the currently low Canadian dollar.

Thank you very much, I love it too and am so glad I got it.

Sorry @TragicDog I hope I didn't derail your thread and my apologies if I did...
No derailing at all. That bracing is gorgeous.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back