Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sly fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im getting a new tank built with an external calfo overflow, starphire 3 sides, but should i go 48x 36 x24 or 60x30x24????

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your plans for the tank? I would say the 48x36x24 myself, but that may be hard to reach into the back. 60" would give more space for corals to spread out... Both would be awesome tanks!

What are your plans for lighting?

OP
OP
sly fox

sly fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, the plan is a fish/ corals... sps maybe some lps depending on what fish i go for in the end.... but very sps

lighting i was going to go 2 x 400w radiums, dimmable coralvue ballasts, lumen bright reflectors, plus 2 t5s to cycle in and out of the halides and moonlights

i have the skimmer already, an octopus pro 300 external, i have the return pump as well, a reeflo snapper,,...im going to run zeovit

i love the look of pendants with no canopy which allows easy access as well, but i like my jumpers- anthias and wrasse so i neeed a canopy

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your lighting plans, I would say the 48" tank would be better. I too like the open top look, as for your jumpers, get with "Jimsflies" I think he is a member here too. Jim has a very cool open mesh that does not interfere with the lighting at all, and with 20K Radiums I don't think any actinic supplementation would be needed.

I would think that the advantages of the open top, the clean look and the added cooling, would outweigh the blue of the actinics.

GotSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say the 48x36x24 IMO tanks with alot of depth(front to back) look great!

OP
OP
sly fox

sly fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys i guess if i was going open top id want a slick pendent... what are the reflectors like in the giesemann or sfilligoi ones? any other slick ones out there?

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly with the deeper tanks, i would recommend you go with a height of 27"

By the time you put your sand in, you are going to be near 20", and when its 30-36" front to back the proportions seem a little off.

I have a 72 x 36 x 27 coming, and looked a TON into the same type things.

Any way you go, youll love the deep tank. I think if you go 30 deep, youll start kicking yourself wishing you went 36"

Not to mention, for a 60",lighting isnt nearly as convenient as is it with a 48" tank.

Like Mike said, you dont need supplements with radiums, but myself couldnt live without the chance of looking at a tank with actinics only as an option.

ConcreteReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
48" with a 10 bulb ATI Powermodule would be perfect

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
sly fox

sly fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my worry about the 36" is that the middle back area will be hard to work with... i had thought 60x36x24 but it hought that would be too much work haha

the change is occurring after hurricane ike did a doobie on my setups, i faired much better than a lot of reefers here... my sps competition tank (25g custom cube) overheated fast so i lost all my sps in there including my nice larry jackson tip colony.... my main tank faired quite well (175)

i broke down and sold my 3rd 24g and am selling my 175....one issue ive had with the 175 is that i have found im fed up of my arm pit being in the tank lol

i have a 72" constellation on that 14xt5s and its an awesome unit, but im a sucker for the shimmer of MHs, and i like my tanks blue so i was thinking the radiums... i havent tried the giesemann 22ks any opinions on them?

I was thinking 24" with a higher stand as the stand is being made as well

i was also thinking an all black lidded acrylic sump and giving a cryptic zone a go to be different and running zeovit...

OP
OP
sly fox

sly fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know people like pics...

an old one of my comp tank when i put the first corals in... the sunpod i still havent hung, but it will be

036.jpg

my frag rack in my main tank

020.jpg

OP
OP
sly fox

sly fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha, thanks

i wonder if i could get a pendent made will lumen brights in it?

what do people suggest for flow for the tank...i was thinking of an ocean motions, vortechs or tunze? any suggestions?

OP
OP
sly fox

sly fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 for the 60, 11 for the 48, they both seem popular sizes...

im thinking of using a pair of lume bright pendents, much cheaper than a sfiligoi or giesemann fixture and i know those reflectors are good ones...ive heard from people the giesemanns are a bit bad for glare.... anyone any opinion on these?

Last edited:
OP
OP
sly fox

sly fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive decidedto go with the 60x 30... thanks for all your help

i tried mailing jimsflies for tank cover suggestions ut havent heard back...anyone in contact with him?
thx

Back