5 Gallon DIY Refugium Help

Wnelson52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g dt with an hob skimmer and a Fluval 407 cannister. Having trouble keeping nitrates down so I'm thinking of adding a refugium. I could buy an hob for a bit more than $300 plus another $100 for the stuff to put into it. But I've got a 5 gallon tank that I might be able to use to build one.

Your suggestions would be appreciated. I'm thinking of putting the refugium under the tank and just running input and output hoses between dt and refugium. A gravity fed line to bring water down to fuge and a pump to pump water back up to the tank. Add a light and some emergency one way valves in case of power failure and it should work.

My question is, will such a simple setup actually work? How big a pump would I need? Any other additions or subtractions to the plan?

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I'd do like a 400gph pump, sicce adv if you want a good pump or a jebao dc pump for adjustable. Then I'd put some sort of wave pump in there (probably a jebao slw) to get your macro to tumble then of course a plant light of some sort. Hope it works out!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just want to reduce nitrates, look into adding an algae turf scrubber. Far more efficient than a refugium, if you don’t care about “looking at” the refugium

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55g dt with an hob skimmer and a Fluval 407 cannister. Having trouble keeping nitrates down so I'm thinking of adding a refugium. I could buy an hob for a bit more than $300 plus another $100 for the stuff to put into it. But I've got a 5 gallon tank that I might be able to use to build one.

Your suggestions would be appreciated. I'm thinking of putting the refugium under the tank and just running input and output hoses between dt and refugium. A gravity fed line to bring water down to fuge and a pump to pump water back up to the tank. Add a light and some emergency one way valves in case of power failure and it should work.

My question is, will such a simple setup actually work? How big a pump would I need? Any other additions or subtractions to the plan?
Hows the one-way valve work to stop water going down..in case of power failure?

you would need a float valve to shut of the down line...something like this...

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I base my nutrient export mainly on a refugium, i run no socks and no rollers - just fuge and skimmer.

With the right lighting you can get away with a small refugium being very efficient - and easy to tune as you can adjust the lighting period as required. But a powerful light on a fuge will make a huge difference with regards to nutrient export.

Here's mine for reference; this is a 135 gallon system. 2 x Kessil a160 lights.

1000001851.jpg

You can look in to the turf scrubbers as well, a refugium takes up more room to as efficient, its just so much easier!

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GE whole house (orBRS) + light+canister input> canister> canister output> display.
That the way I had my old one running.....

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back