5 gallon quarantine tank

aerialdronemaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys
I put my small blue tang to 5 gallon quarantine tank, to battle ick
I did not cycle the water, it is RO/DI water , with proper sanity , the amonia spiked really high,
Well, what do you recommend, replacing the water very often like every 2 days or put some some bacteria that will take care of ammonia?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, how big is the tang? It will simply get more stressed in a tiny tank. I would try to find at least a 20gL for the qt. Then, have prime on hand for ammonia. Water changes and prime work just fine in fish qt. What are you using to treat?

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tang shouldn't be in a 5 gallon for quarantine I would say a 30 gallon quarantine tank is more adequate, anyways usually you start a mini cycle on quarantine tanks. What I do is add bio media to my DT and put it in the QT tank filter to get a cycle going and add bio spira

sharpimage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree the 5 gallon is too small for most fish. You will need to decide how you are treating. Copper or TTM. I usually have a 18 gallon rubbermaid tub from home depot with about 10 gallons of water. I do TTM method so ammonia isn't an issue. I have more than 1 tub.

OP
OP
A

aerialdronemaster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, how big is the tang? It will simply get more stressed in a tiny tank. I would try to find at least a 20gL for the qt. Then, have prime on hand for ammonia. Water changes and prime work just fine in fish qt. What are you using to treat?
I am using Fritz coppersafe , the fish is little, 2 maybe 1.5 inch

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With any tang, it is better to go bigger. Makes them feel better. I unfortunately never use copper or coppersafe, but hopefully others will chime in on methods.
Follow direction for specified time and get in larger tank. Should be fine if eating.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 48.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%

Back