50% are dead...what the is happening

serious marine aficionado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the course of the last 5 years, we have had 2 salt water aquariums, with an array of problems diseases, fish and issues...nothing has been as bad as this.

2 months ago - we introduced 3 new lookdowns to our tank.

7 weeks ago - we had to move the 3 new lookdowns to our other tank, b/c they were very aggressive to the the other 3 lookdowns we had for the last few yrs. (never seen that before with them)

6 weeks ago- it started, one of the original lookdowns in the main tank started swinging like a maniac in circles and circles a few times and in a few days died.
With that happening we dosed the take with Life guard instant marine, just to be safe. A regular treatment, check water, salinity etc...everything fine, UV is working, nothing out of order...Copper levels are good.

5 weeks ago - same deal, 1 starts swimming in circles, dies - we lost another of the original lookdowns. our Dog-face puffer started puffing up for no reason for a few days every morning, seemed a little not him him self. we tested water, fine. no sign of disease, everyone else seemed normal, eating etc

4 weeks ago, same story we lost our last original Lookdown. Everyone else in tank was fine, eating all good. we put the 3 new lookdowns back in the main tank, seeing the others had all died...we notice black Ich on our yellow tank, we treat with formalin, tang dies a few days later, everyone else is good, new lookdowns are good.all others in tank are healthy, puffer is back to normal.

3 weeks ago - we wake up to a dead lookdown, and another breathing very heavy up at the top of the tank, by end of day 2 down one left. All other fish are fine...
2 weeks ago, last lookdown dies same way breathing heavy sluggish finally jsut sinks to bottom.

last night- puffer and grouper both heavy breathing sitting at the bottom of the tank, not normal for either one. we treat it again with Lifeguard...

Today they are both dead.

So now that you have read thru this whole story, what the is happening?

I appreciate any insight...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you dose these meds directly to your DT? Including the formalin? Are any of the fish in the tank that the last batch of lookdowns were in temporarily sick or dying at this point?

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your response.

Yes, directly to the DT. They both are alive, but I thought about that too, so we medicated that tank as well...once with lifeguard back about 3 weeks ago seeing the lookdowns were in that space as well.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I never advise dosing the DT with meds like this. the fomalin in particular wasn't a good options for it. The rocks and sand can absorb it and leach it back out later to cause problems. Also, formalin will deplete the oxygen in the water a good amount which could have caused the heavy breathing and slow demise of the rest of the fish. Though there had to be something else going on. There was most definitely something else in play here. You didn't see any other symptoms besides the heavy breathing? Maybe yawning, scratching flashing? A dusty or dirty appearance or swimming into the flow of a powerhead?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you should have dosed prazi, black ich is actually more fluke-like if I understand correctly. Also I don't think copper mixes with the other meds you're using very well and could well have poisoned your fish and caused your issue

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you should have dosed prazi, black ich is actually more fluke-like if I understand correctly. Also I don't think copper mixes with the other meds you're using very well and could well have poisoned your fish and caused your issue

Good catch! I missed the mention of copper. Your exactly right about black ich though the formalin should have taken care of it as well (with two baths 5-7 days apart same as prazi). Usually it's done in a bath and not the DT. Also right on about the meds not mixing well- becoming a poison and taking the oxygen out of the water can combine to disastrous results.

@serious marine aficionado I would be running carbon like crazy and doing large water changes at this point. I'd still like to know if they showed any of the symptoms I mentioned before.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch! I missed the mention of copper. Your exactly right about black ich though the formalin should have taken care of it as well (with two baths 5-7 days apart same as prazi). Usually it's done in a bath and not the DT. Also right on about the meds not mixing well- becoming a poison and taking the oxygen out of the water can combine to disastrous results.

@serious marine aficionado I would be running carbon like crazy and doing large water changes at this point. I'd still like to know if they showed any of the symptoms I mentioned before.

I've also had luck removing meds with phosban media and cuprisorb as well.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Prazi should be tried for treating black ich before resorting to formalin. Formaldehyde is some nasty stuff, and many fish cannot take prolonged exposure. Some fish cannot even last in a bath for 60 minutes. It's one of those things where sometimes the cure can be worse than the disease.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for you responses.

I didn't mention this in the original post but we did do prazi (most recently) Didn't mention because it seemed as though it's made no difference. Melypr asked if any other symptoms. Would describe as stroke like. In addition to swimming in circles (just to clarify it was forward circles like kids do underwater while holding their nose) they would tense up with mouth stretched open. Sometimes they would be fine after enough time but this condition always preceeded death. So, at this point based on the number of medications we've added (all told by our local marine aquarium would "cure" the tank) we've decided to do a 50% water change. Which of the medications mentioned so far would be the best to maintain in the tank?

Again, thank you to everyone for your thoughts and help with this!

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is relevant. But I have had a fish get Herrased when introduced to tank. I caught fish and move him to sump. He than swam around in circles real fast and died. Like a hart attack or something. This was a few years ago. Just thought I would mention because that is the only time I have heard of fish doing that.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random seizures and the like are often induced by meds, but exponentially more likely with mixing meds especially with copper present. The only med I've mixed with copper without issue is prazi. It can also be induced by poor water quality such as high ammonia and even stress. Large scale behavior changes and more than one fish with those symptoms to me points to mixed meds.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which of the medications mentioned so far would be the best to maintain in the tank?

ideally you wouldn't use any meds in your display to maintain it. It would be best if you treated any fish in a QT. For the moment, Water changes and carbon (or other media designed for absorbing meds) are going to be your best friend. Focus on getting your display clear of all these chemicals then if any fish start displaying symptoms that need treatment we can discuss the best method at that point. One step at a time.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang, Coral beauty, 3 blue damsels and a maroon clown. All seem fine at the moment but the maroon clown is not eating.

I would run carbon/do a large WC to remove all meds. And then reassess the situation. It's possible the formalin in the water is suppressing the clown's appetite.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, sorry to hear this. Never dose ur DT. Always remove the fish if at all possible. Sounds like you overdosed the fish. Sorry for you losses. Best of luck with the remaining fish. I'd do a 75% water change and run carbon ASAP. Double the recommended dose for 4-8 hours.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back