500 gallons of ich

Unknownpharoah1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a deep 500 gallon tank.

I came in after the weekend to find two of my tangs had an outbreak of ICH.

With all the rockwork and depth of the tank, catching a singular fish is difficult if not impossible.

So I ask, other than treating the food with metro/focus, Can I treat an entire tank effectively for ICH to help the other fishes in the tank as well?

OP
OP
U

Unknownpharoah1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catching all those critters is out of the question. If I did that, I would just dismantle the whole tank, clean and start over. Not the best option. The UV sterilizer is on my short list. The trouble is with a tank of 500 gallons, the UV sterilizer I found which has the proper capacity is about the size of a bazooka! Not small and I would have to get creative with the plumbing for sure. I have a feeling that's happening sooner than expected though.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had a battle in my 660g
Fish trap will be your friend
Medic although I’ve used is a gamble and is practically peroxide salts
Can you post pics under white lights to assure its ich and not something else?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catching all those critters is out of the question. If I did that, I would just dismantle the whole tank, clean and start over. Not the best option. The UV sterilizer is on my short list. The trouble is with a tank of 500 gallons, the UV sterilizer I found which has the proper capacity is about the size of a bazooka! Not small and I would have to get creative with the plumbing for sure. I have a feeling that's happening sooner than expected though.

It depends on how bad the infection is, as to if you'll be able to manage it, even with a strong UV and the best food/enviroment. What happens is that at a certain point, the propagule pressure (the relative number of theronts attacking the fish) becomes a stressor in itself, and ich management then often fails. The exact tipping point is unknown, but in my experieince, it happens around when you can see about 30 ich trophonts (white spots) on one side of the fish. Less than that, and management sometimes works, above that, and it may fail.

I'm not a fan of "reef safe" medications for displays with invertebrates. They very often prove to be "ich safe" as well. Polyp Lab Medic has a better track record than the "tonic" type treatments which are virtually useless. Ruby Reef Rally Pro has been used by some people as well.

Metro+Focus will almost always fail. To even begin to work, metronidazole in food needs to be at least 5000 ppm. At that level, most fish will avoid eating the food (it is very bitter). The tomonts on the fish's skin (that would be exposed to oral metro) are very tolerant, and difficult to kill. Most effective treatments target the free swimming theronts.

Jay

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Bud, some Tangs hold on better, what do you have? there is a Regal in the LFS display that shows up every 6-8 weeks without fail

Agree that the Fish trap to catch and treat, best nutrition possible for them and the rest of the tank, and a right sized/proper flow UV for the mid term

Good luck

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just providing sample/data …
I tried in-tank treatments: poly
Lab Medic and a high quality strong UV. As the story went: .Lost a adult Idol, all my basslets and 2 very robust tangs…OTOH a Atlantic blue, all angels, anthias and Foxface made it… next time I’m getting a red light and fish trap

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a natural ich remedy that Petco has, made by Petco. "It Says" Safe for fish and plants, fresh or salt water. DO NOT USE IT, I tried it on my fresh water cichlid tank and killed most of my prized plecos and some other fish. But the fish with ich survived and then I used the proper medication "Ich-X" made by Hikari I believe , good for fresh and salt water fish. I don't know if it is reef safe. Works great for my cichlids.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

Unknownpharoah1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a battle in my 660g
Fish trap will be your friend
Medic although I’ve used is a gamble and is practically peroxide salts
Can you post pics under white lights to assure its ich and not something else?
I have had a bear of a time posting anything from my iphone to this site. I'll try again.

OP
OP
U

Unknownpharoah1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a couple pics. Not white light but you can see what’s going on. He’s more active today than yesterday so it’s possible he’s improving

Attachments

• FD7F0FA9-002C-4342-B8EB-5578CCA89712.jpeg
    FD7F0FA9-002C-4342-B8EB-5578CCA89712.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 62
  • B20486CC-F478-41CB-9930-D3E3EE5F9E0A.jpeg
    B20486CC-F478-41CB-9930-D3E3EE5F9E0A.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
U

Unknownpharoah1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed one of my socks is covered in red stuff. Never happened before either

Attachments

• 15361C0D-0FEF-444C-9B05-9B2F2C0F80DA.jpeg
    15361C0D-0FEF-444C-9B05-9B2F2C0F80DA.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 55

Topekoms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would fish trap them all and QT them in copper and let the tank go fallow for 90 days. I know it sucks and is a lot of work but it is really your best option then QT everything before it goes in your tank in the future. i had to do it in my 210. so i do know your pain.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say this but thats not ich. The red lesions are worrisome. Might be brook or velvet but im not entirely sure. You have a pretty big problem on your hands that reef safe medication or uv will surely not fix. Fish trap and a qt system for all the fish is the only way to treat them. It's very likey more fish will be showing signs of infection shortly.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 78 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back