$520 for a single polyp?

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These threads pop up daily and the general consensus is the same. Some say buy, some say don't buy. What people do with their money is up to them.

I did a search in the scientific field and sadly there is no species that returns with a tag or name of jawdropper. I see a pretty big list of what is recognized in the genus Acropora such as Acropora abrolhosensis or Acropora verweyi but nowhere did I see an Acropora Jawdropper.

Therefore I can only surmise that you are being taken advantage of...

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure that unknowingly talking to a psychiatrist at a party for 5 minutes would get any of us a scientific classification with a cool name or just "nut job" ;Wacky

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to get your guys opinion, I’m a super stick head and I’ve been looking for a RR jaw dropper for awhile but when I saw the price start to creep up on this tiny one polyp frag I just couldn’t do it. Anyone else think $520 for a single polyp is ridiculous?

45ED0BD1-F708-4ADA-A60D-35CC675563EE.png
Never buy acros from cornbred

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to get your guys opinion, I’m a super stick head and I’ve been looking for a RR jaw dropper for awhile but when I saw the price start to creep up on this tiny one polyp frag I just couldn’t do it. Anyone else think $520 for a single polyp is ridiculous?

Ask if they offer Lay-A-way.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never buy acros from cornbred

I wouldn't say that, they do have nice corals. You just have to realize that the pics are ridiculously photo shopped and the frags will be super small. But if you stick with the known ones that are nice (ex. Maleficent), you can get some good stuff. I stick with the WYSIWYG corals that I can see are decent sized. Anything micro I avoid. And I've found them to have great customer service.

Fercho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont even wanna pay $100 for a 1 inch frag that is rare cause some of them make it and some of them dont. And there goes your money down the drain....
This “rare” coral thing is getting out of control....

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is known for having jacked up prices. Nice corals, but if you shop around you’ll find a better deal elsewhere.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe there is a real coral on the other side of that frag plug... they have it upside down ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who do auctions commonly bid on their own auctions in order to raise the price, and make it seem more valuable.

Thats all I have to say on the topic. Dont waste your money :)

if only we can detect this and bid up the price only for them to have to buy it in the end :D

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in terms of these high-priced, named acros/other corals (like $200 pp zoas etc) I don't know the names of them unless someone tells me...... and I spend all of my free-time at work (which is a lot) on this site looking at corals etc. I can't imagine that the average person (or anyone I personally know) is going to walk in my house and say "Holy cow! You have a Burn-and-Bet Peepers acro and Skeeve-Martian zoas?!?! that's crazy! What a jerk!" I'm guessing It would be more along the lines of "Oh wow.... those purple things are nice"

Most of these crazy high priced things have VERY similar looking alternatives out there that grow faster etc...... I guess when someone refers to corals/zoas/acros etc. as "From my collection" or "I have this in my collection" it's kind of a pet peeve of mine.....

reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cornbred's site has it for $399 for a 1/3-1/2 inch frag. This is just somebody trying to gouge or make the other frags they have for sale seem like a good deal.

Brad Vaughn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it's really worth it ....to the seller. Personally I couldn't look at myself in the mirror trying to get away with selling that. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 43 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.6%
Back