55 vs 90 vs 125

SaltedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm currently running a 55 gallon reef right now. However I'm moving soon and see this as the perfect time to upgrade to maybe a 90 or 125 depending on what kind. Deals I can find when the time comes. So question is, how much more maintenance is a 90 or 125 compared to a 55? How much can I expect my salt costs to go up? How about rodi water, how much are you topping off a day? I currently do a 10 gallon water change every 2 weeks, (or so ) lol and top off about a gallon a day. A 200 gallon box of salt usually last me at least two months of not more.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would plan on getting a RODI unit and ATO system if you are going to upgrade. I go through ALOT of water with my 180. Amount of salt wouldn't be a determining factor IMO. I do go through 200gal boxes of salt in approx. a month though.

I would go the biggest you can, because either way you will want to go bigger. However, make sure you keep in mind that the bigger you go the bigger the cost of associated goods.

If you are not looking to stock very active fish I would look into a 120 versus the 125. But if you are tang lover I would try to go with the longest tank possible.

I say it really depends on what you are looking to do and your budget. Everyone will say the bigger the better. My 180 is more maintenance than my 55 was, but thats because I stocked SPS.

Make sure you make a build thread with whatever you upgrade too!

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have room the 125 would be better suited for stocking as you open up more fish with the 6' length. Maintenance cost wont go up much just the salt for water changes and gfo or whatever else you run on the tank will increase slightly. As for evap I run a 90 rr with 30 gal sump and a cube 40 tied to it and I may be close to a gallon a day tops.

OP
OP
SaltedReefer

SaltedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I'll get a few more opinions but in sure I'll go with the 125, I already have an RODI And ATO. I'm just curious of everyone's experience with the two tanks. I'm defiantly a tang guy!

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need the 125 or even 180 if like tangs. They are beautiful fish but pigs.lol. I really don't see the bigger tank costing a whole lot more except for initial setup and water changes..

OP
OP
SaltedReefer

SaltedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my skimmer is rated for like 150 I think. Also what do you think about my lights i have two evergrow d120s I'll assumingly have to add another?

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, get another light for the extra two feet, I had a 125, 180s can be found right around the same price, that's what I would go with looking back, I'm stuck with a smaller tank for a few years until I go to Colorado, but when I get there I am looking at either 2 210's, or a 300 and a 400, depending on the house.

OP
OP
SaltedReefer

SaltedReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, well I don't own my place nor will I my next place so I don't wanna go to big just yet until I buy a house one day. I may just upgrade all my lights to the programmable ones

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 22 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 91 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back