6 line wrasse help. Some mouth disease?

Ultrawalrus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just feed everything and noticed that my wrasse is basically missing its lower jaw. It is still actively feeding and behaving normal, but something is definitely wrong. Picture is the best I could get. If I think back, he may have had a white spot on his mouth a couple weeks ago. Didn't think anything of it cause he's always picking at the rocks. He's been in the tank roughly 3mo. My question is more should I attempt to remove him (wont be easy) to prevent a spread of whatever is wrong? Or perhaps it was just an isolated infection and not a disease.
Screenshot_20190730-183510_Gallery.jpeg

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda agree it does look kinda like lock jaw; hard to tell from this angle. If it is lock jaw there isn't much you can do. If you noticed bacterial or fungal growth on the mouth before than it could've been eating away at the fish's jaw however it rarely grows like that overnight. I recommend treating with furan-2 and kanaplex if possible

OP
OP
Ultrawalrus

Ultrawalrus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda agree it does look kinda like lock jaw; hard to tell from this angle. If it is lock jaw there isn't much you can do. If you noticed bacterial or fungal growth on the mouth before than it could've been eating away at the fish's jaw however it rarely grows like that overnight. I recommend treating with furan-2 and kanaplex if possible
Assuming it is lock jaw. Is that a death Sentence?

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk. It definitely looks like it's missing. Is lock jaw a problem with them? Would it fix itself?
The jaw is not missing because the skin would be floppy and moving around behind the fish. The problem is that if it doesn't got back in place after a day, it's probably there perminatly. The best thing to do is wait a couple days and if it's not fixed you might have to go in and push the jaw back in place. That is also a problem because it's so small and fragile that the bones can crack easily and if that's the case the fish will starve to death. So either wait for the fish to possibly die, or try and fix it with a chance at the fish dieing. And if worst comes to worst, put the fish down humanly. Hope you won't have too, good luck.

Also fish lock jaw is a disease I read

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 65 32.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back