60 gallon shallow rimless build

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up my new tank from Aquatic Marine on Thursday evening. It's a Deep Blue 60g shallow 48x24x12. I also picked up an All Glass Aquarium stand. I plan on getting this running in about two weeks. I will be transferring all of my livestock from the Solana over to this tank. I have 30 pounds of live rock in my Solana I will transfer over and I will be adding 20 pounds of BRS Reef Saver dry rock with 60 pounds of Caribsea Arag-Alive Special Grade Reef Sand. The tank will house mainly LPS and softies. I would also like to add a RBTA once the tank is up and running.

Equipment
Deep Blue 60g shallow 48x24x12
10g sump (I will eventually go bigger, but due to budget restraints this is it for now)
SCA-301 skimmer
2x Fluval 100w heaters
Sicce Syncra silent 2.0 return pump
JBJ ATO
VorTech MP10
Hydor Koralia Nano 240 & 425
Reef Radiance LUMENTEK PRO 240

new tank.jpg
new tank2.jpg

CoryC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice. may want to hold off on that rbta though, they tend to require mature tanks of at least 6 mos or so. looking great so far though, love those shallow tanks.

OP
OP
Esage

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice. may want to hold off on that rbta though, they tend to require mature tanks of at least 6 mos or so. looking great so far though, love those shallow tanks.

I'm definitley going to wait for all the new rock and tank to mature before adding a BTA. I've wanted a BTA for a long time but it's something I've always talked myself out of, still not 100% sure I'll add one to this tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice tank!

OP
OP
Esage

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my screen top built on Sunday. The next small project is getting the shelf brackets in place for hanging the light.

screen 1.jpg
screen2.jpg

Last edited:

TriMax

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good looking tank. " budget restraints" that is a term that you do not hear often enough around those of us that are addicted. It is a wise idea, however. I remember having ideas/thoughts about a budget. They were usually after I had spend too much money. :bigsmile:

Eddie

OP
OP
Esage

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good looking tank. " budget restraints" that is a term that you do not hear often enough around those of us that are addicted. It is a wise idea, however. I remember having ideas/thoughts about a budget. They were usually after I had spend too much money. :bigsmile:

Eddie

So true!

coralfrenzy88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive always heard that anems are first to go in tank so they can get settled and this reduces chance of it moving and stinging corals and other stationery livestock....if I did an anem I would put it in first personally

OP
OP
Esage

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the tank transfer on Tuesday, so far everything has survived the transfer to the new tank. The micro bubbles from the skimmer are slowly getting better and the skimmer is starting to pull some gunk. I made a mistake with the 10 gallon sump. I'm unable to run the overflow gate at its max water height because the 10 gallon sump can not handle the additional 2.5 gallons of back flow. I will need to replace the 10 gallon sump with a 20 gallon or larger in order to run a higher water line. Besides that little problem, I'm very pleased with the Deep Blue tank. I do wish I had gone with a taller stand. I will get some pictures posted soon. If anybody has a 20 gallon or larger sump sitting around give me a shout.

Last edited:

k2parkstar

Z&P Snob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the tank transfer on Tuesday, so far everything has survived the transfer to the new tank. The micro bubbles from the skimmer are slowly getting better and the skimmer is starting to pull some gunk. I made a mistake with the 10 gallon sump. I'm unable to run the overflow gate at its max water height because the 10 gallon sump can not handle the additional 2.5 gallons of back flow. I will need to replace the 10 gallon sump with a 20 gallon or larger in order to run a higher water line. Besides that little problem, I'm very pleased with the Deep Blue tank. I do wish I had gone with a taller stand. I will get some pictures posted soon. If anybody has a 20 gallon or larger sump sitting around give me a shout.

I've got a 20g tall tank. Never had water in it at all. You could use it to make a sump. It's yours for $20.

OP
OP
Esage

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a 20g tall tank. Never had water in it at all. You could use it to make a sump. It's yours for $20.

I might take you up on that. I would really like to find one already built but if I don't in the next couple of weeks, I might try building one.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back