60G cube build Stocking ideas 2024.

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of rebuilding my ~60G Cube with a 20G sump, and the dimension is 24x24x24" with an oversized skimmer (curve 7). I plan on doing a softie heavy tank with macro algae if you guys are curious.

Below I have written the fishes I like, if you guys can a suggestion or a good list with the things I had in mind it would help me a lot. I'm not into flasher wrasses before you guy suggest them

Here's a list of Angel Fish I like:
Pygmy Cherub,
Flameback
Flame,
Lemon peel,

Wrasse ideas:
Melanurus Wrasse
Yellow Corris wrasse
Tamarin Wrasse
Pink streak wrasse
Possum wrasse

Blenny:
Lawn moyer blenny,
Tail spot blenny.

Goby:
Rainford Goby
Watchman
Yasha
Diamond

Jawfish:
Yellow Head Jawfish

Hawk:
Flame hawk
Longnose hawkfish

Else:
Pipefish
Chalkbass

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 gallons . Just pick 3 fish

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya just 3 a cube does not allow for much swimming room.
3 gobies

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pass on the lemon peel but the Flame, Pygmy Cherub, and flame back should be fine. Only pick one angel don't get two.

Pink streak and possum wrasse would be okay, you could possibly have the Melanurus But they would prefer more swimming room

Both blenny should be fine to get but i would only pick one. Preferably the tail spot.

All goby are fine to get except the diamond goby, I would get it once your tank is more established.

Jawfish should be okay but it might be aggressive to the DWG and the YWG if they get too close to its burrow.

If you don’t plan on getting shrimp then you could get one of those hawks, but there’s also a chance it could go after one of your small gobies

chalk bass should be fine.

Last edited:

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 56 gallon column, 30"x18"x24". In my tank I have an ocellaris clown, a midas blenny, a coral beauty angel, a ywg, a tomini tang, a royal gramma, a neon cleaner goby and 2 mask gobies. I have softies, a few LPS and macroalgae. I do not use a skimmer. In fact I do not use filter socks or any mechanical filtration, just rock and sand. This tank is coming on 8 years old and is the easiest tank that I have had.
IMG_20231204_144218337.jpg

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stay away from the lemon peel and flame angels. The cherub or flameback would be your best bet. I think a pair of jawfish would be a good choice. I would stay away from the gobies that make their home in the sand if you go with the jawfish. I'm partial to the flame hawk but they can be aggressive. If you add it then make it the last fish and don't expect to keep any shrimp. I do like the idea of the possum wrasse and chalk bass. If you get the bass then don't expect to keep shrimp and small fish. I would shy away from the pipefish. Maybe look for something that occupies the top of the water column. Hope this helps.

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 56 gallon column, 30"x18"x24". In my tank I have an ocellaris clown, a midas blenny, a coral beauty angel, a ywg, a tomini tang, a royal gramma, a neon cleaner goby and 2 mask gobies. I have softies, a few LPS and macroalgae. I do not use a skimmer. In fact I do not use filter socks or any mechanical filtration, just rock and sand. This tank is coming on 8 years old and is the easiest tank that I have had.
Beautiful tank

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would pass on the lemon peel but the Flame, Pygmy Cherub, and flame back should be fine. Only pick one angel don't get two.

Pink streak and possum wrasse would be okay, you could possibly have the Melanurus But they would prefer more swimming room

Both blenny should be fine to get but i would only pick one. Preferably the tail spot.

All goby are fine to get except the diamond goby, I would get it once your tank is more established.

Jawfish should be okay but it might be aggressive to the DWG and the YWG if they get too close to its burrow.

If you don’t plan on getting shrimp then you could get one of those hawks, but there’s also a chance it could go after one of your small gobies

chalk bass should be fine.
Thanks! This was the kind of input I was looking for.

I went to my LFS today and saw the size of the lemon peel and Flame Angel it would be big for my 60G cube.

What about the yellow corris wrasse? Looks a in between of the melanurus and possum/streak.

I like the lawnmoyer but I have seen soooo many people recommend a tailspot blenny so I might have to see whats up with this little guy.

I was opting for the yellow watchman anyway instead of the diamond.

I was planning on going with a couple of shrimps but boy do I love the longnose hawk so I don't know I will have to think about it.
Thanks ! Looks good! Is that a wavemaker overun by macros ?
I would stay away from the lemon peel and flame angels. The cherub or flameback would be your best bet. I think a pair of jawfish would be a good choice. I would stay away from the gobies that make their home in the sand if you go with the jawfish. I'm partial to the flame hawk but they can be aggressive. If you add it then make it the last fish and don't expect to keep any shrimp. I do like the idea of the possum wrasse and chalk bass. If you get the bass then don't expect to keep shrimp and small fish. I would shy away from the pipefish. Maybe look for something that occupies the top of the water column. Hope this helps.
Yes the cherub and flameback are high up my list!

Yes if I go with jawfish I would skip the gobies!

Good to know on the chalkbass and shrimps I was planning on going "heavy" on shrimps or crab.

Thanks!

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this list ? I can go with less these are not must.

1 Lawnmower Blenny OR tailspot
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Melanurus Wrasse
1 Jester Gobyà
1 Green Clown Goby OR Citron OR Lemon
1 Matted Filefish
1 Possum Wrasse
1 Flameback OR Cherub Angelfish

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a monster powerhead and it was an eyesore in the tank. That is why I surrounded it with macroalgae. It kind of looked like an alien in that older pic. I have since bought a much smaller profile Carefree Fish wavemaker. I still surround it with macroalgae. I just took this pic this morning.
20240413_102628.jpg

OP
OP
SomeHappyFish

SomeHappyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a monster powerhead and it was an eyesore in the tank. That is why I surrounded it with macroalgae. It kind of looked like an alien in that older pic. I have since bought a much smaller profile Carefree Fish wavemaker. I still surround it with macroalgae. I just took this pic this morning.
20240413_102628.jpg
They both look good!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back