720g/635g water volume re-set stocking

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(This is a FOWLR set up but know there’s allot of fish knowledge on this specific Reef aquarium sub forum as well as the fish discussion forum where I also posted…thx)

Some are aware of the journey. I have now re set my captioned tank: I’m slowly re stocking and have all fish on hand. Everything being QT’d properly followed by methodically thought out and slow introduction, always adding turbostart bacteria when a few fish added.

My main question is stocking level: Here it is…( my guess is that most of these fish will not reach full adult size in an aquarium but the sizes I have articulated are ful adult sizes). Sample sizes currently ranges from 2 inch Blue hippo to 3 1/2 inch flame angel to 5 inch blueface and Yellow tangs to 6 1/2 inch black tang and Queen angel to largest being emperor at about 7 1/2- 8” and blonde Naso at 9 1/2 inches….

2 Personifier’s (pair). (Re intro’d on 8/28). 28

Scribble. 10

Emperor. 14

Queen 16

Blueface. 15

Flame. (Re intro 8/23) 4

Coral Beauty. ( “ “ “ ) 4. 91

Achilles. 9

Black tang. 9

Gem. 9

Purple. 9

Blonde Naso. 16

3 Yellow Tang 24

3 Blue hippo tang. 36 112

2 clownfish. (Re-intro 8/19/23) 6

Henniochus. (Re-intro 8/19/23) 9.

Niger trigger. ( “ “ “ ) 12

CLown trigger. (Sump 8/19/23 ) 15

Tusk Pair (Re-intro sm female 8/28,lg male 8/29) 20

Flamehawk. ( Re-intro 8/19/23) 4.

Tahitian golden hawk(rare). 6. 72.

275 total adult inches which equates to 2.3in/gal of water volume. Most use total g’s measurement but I use actual set up water volume to be conservative. The tank is ~ 8ft long, 4’ high and 3’deep. Amazingly I have found with a tank that high, the fish actually do use the space in the upper region. I know my biggest issue might be aggression especially the angels, as they grow. However I have found that the more the better as then there is usually not targeted aggression but rather shared aggression.

Let me know if u think I’m overstocked or is ok as is for a long time to come. Thx!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow… pushing it but what are the tank dimensions?

Sounds like what I have but all in one tank. Envious!

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow… pushing it but what are the tank dimensions?

Sounds like what I have but all in one tank. Envious!
I know its long so here’s an excerpt from above narrative:

275 total adult inches which equates to 2.3in/gal of water volume. The tank is ~ 8ft long, 4’ high and 3’deep. Amazingly I have found with a tank that high, the fish actually do use the space in the upper region. I know my biggest issue might be aggression especially the angels, as they grow. However I have found that the more the better as then there is usually not targeted aggression but rather shared aggression.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

275 total adult inches which equates to 2.3in/gal of water volume. The tank is ~ 8ft long, 4’ high and 3’deep. Amazingly I have found with a tank that high, the fish actually do use the space in the upper region. I know my biggest issue might be aggression especially the angels, as they grow. However I have found that the more the better as then there is usually not targeted aggression but rather shared aggression.
Aah I missed it. Must be busy reading over your fish list.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(This is a FOWLR set up but know there’s allot of fish knowledge on this specific Reef aquarium sub forum as well as the fish discussion forum where I also posted…thx)

Some are aware of the journey. I have now re set my captioned tank: I’m slowly re stocking and have all fish on hand. Everything being QT’d properly followed by methodically thought out and slow introduction, always adding turbostart bacteria when a few fish added.

My main question is stocking level: Here it is…( my guess is that most of these fish will not reach full adult size in an aquarium but the sizes I have articulated are ful adult sizes). Sample sizes currently ranges from 2 inch Blue hippo to 3 1/2 inch flame angel to 5 inch blueface and Yellow tangs to 6 1/2 inch black tang and Queen angel to largest being emperor at about 7 1/2- 8” and blonde Naso at 9 1/2 inches….

2 Personifier’s (pair). (Re intro’d on 8/28). 28
Scribble. 10
Emperor. 14
Queen 16
Blueface. 15
Flame. (Re intro 8/23) 4
Coral Beauty. ( “ “ “ ) 4. 91
Achilles. 9
Black tang. 9
Gem. 9
Purple. 9
Blonde Naso. 16
3 Yellow Tang 24
3 Blue hippo tang. 36 112
2 clownfish. (Re-intro 8/19/23) 6
Henniochus. (Re-intro 8/19/23) 9.
Niger trigger. ( “ “ “ ) 12
CLown trigger. (Sump 8/19/23 ) 15
Tusk Pair (Re-intro sm female 8/28,lg male 8/29) 20
Flamehawk. ( Re-intro 8/19/23) 4.
Tahitian golden hawk(rare). 6. 72.
That’s a long list…., I tried to condense it so I can see them all at once to talk about intro sequence on my phone but am realizing that’s not possible without a laptop screen. Lol

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 8' x 4'deep x 30" high tank. IME, height helps but depth probably helps more in terms of alleviating aggression. You tank will have 6 large angels with the emp & blueface in the same genus, queen by itself, scribble & personifers in the same genus, and the dwrafs in the same genus. Then you got 11 tangs - 6 of which are in the same genus then you got a showsize Achillies, showsize Naso, and 3 Hippos...., this is all before the 15" clown trigger and 12" niger trigger and tusks....., Need to really work the hardscape and use the 8'x3' footprint to create many passage ways.

1st ones going in - Personifers, Scribble, Dwrafs
2nd ones going in - Blueface, Emp
Last - Queen

Can't really say much about your tangs as they can be all quite bossy except for the Naso which is also the largest.

The two triggers def need to go in together and are likely in the last group.

Tusks need to go in 1st as well....

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 8' x 4'deep x 30" high tank. IME, height helps but depth probably helps more in terms of alleviating aggression. You tank will have 6 large angels with the emp & blueface in the same genus, queen by itself, scribble & personifers in the same genus, and the dwrafs in the same genus. Then you got 11 tangs - 6 of which are in the same genus then you got a showsize Achillies, showsize Naso, and 3 Hippos...., this is all before the 15" clown trigger and 12" niger trigger and tusks....., Need to really work the hardscape and use the 8'x3' footprint to create many passage ways.

1st ones going in - Personifers, Scribble, Dwrafs
2nd ones going in - Blueface, Emp
Last - Queen

Can't really say much about your tangs as they can be all quite bossy except for the Naso which is also the largest.

The two triggers def need to go in together and are likely in the last group.

Tusks need to go in 1st as well....
Thank you for your feedback. I have a pretty sound plan on intro order and will incorporate your thoughts. I get a sense that you believe I am overstocked and on dangerous ground especially if I’m looking for long term success. I’m less concerned about the Scribble and Personifiers and more concerned about the emperor and blueface especially because the more aggressive one, emperor is also meaningfully larger. The queen can also be aggressive towards the blueface. I’ll be watching carefully as the blueface may have to come out. I’ll also watch the zebrasomas carefully as black tang and Gem may have to come out. I’ve got two other tanks that can be used in a pinch.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your feedback. I have a pretty sound plan on intro order and will incorporate your thoughts. I get a sense that you believe I am overstocked and on dangerous ground especially if I’m looking for long term success. I’m less concerned about the Scribble and Personifiers and more concerned about the emperor and blueface especially because the more aggressive one, emperor is also meaningfully larger. The queen can also be aggressive towards the blueface. I’ll be watching carefully as the blueface may have to come out. I’ll also watch the zebrasomas carefully as black tang and Gem may have to come out. I’ve got two other tanks that can be used in a pinch.
I suppose you can also medicate the tank if something bad happens.

Knock on wood

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose you can also medicate the tank if something bad happens.

Knock on wood
WOULDNT WANT THAT! I could substitute a 3 1/2 inch rock beauty instead of the 5” blueface. Hmmmmm

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOULDNT WANT THAT! I could substitute a 3 1/2 inch rock beauty instead of the 5” blueface. Hmmmmm
Lol ok i guess you want to put coral in there or value your CUC. Btw is it acrylic? If so then your triggers will scratch it.

That switch of angels would be good.

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol ok i guess you want to put coral in there or value your CUC. Btw is it acrylic? If so then your triggers will scratch it.

That switch of angels would be good.
No just would rather not have to go down that road of depending on medication to maintain health in my FOWLR….been there before and its just not fun. Its 1 inch glass. Thinking about that switch out of angels however the rock beauty can be sensitive to bullying and whether same family or not, there w/b some bullying from time to time…..thx!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No just would rather not have to go down that road of depending on medication to maintain health in my FOWLR….been there before and its just not fun. Its 1 inch glass. Thinking about that switch out of angels however the rock beauty can be sensitive to bullying and whether same family or not, there w/b some bullying from time to time…..thx!
How about getting a moorish idol or magnificent foxface, or a high fin snapper instead?

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about getting a moorish idol or magnificent foxface, or a high fin snapper instead?
I have a magnificent fox face in another tank. Have found MI too sensitive for a tank of angels and tangs. Not a fane of the snapper. Besides I’m tapped out on stocking level and am looking to decrease. That amongst pother reasons is why the trade off of the 2 angels mentioned is even more of a plus.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a magnificent fox face in another tank. Have found MI too sensitive for a tank of angels and tangs. Not a fane of the snapper. Besides I’m tapped out on stocking level and am looking to decrease. That amongst pother reasons is why the trade off of the 2 angels mentioned is even more of a plus.
it seems like the high fin has lost its popularity as not too many shops would bring in the large adults, which I have seen in person maybe 5 years or more before & would def be interested if there is a good specimen available. It’s prob a good thing that they stay in the ocean. I’ve had good luck with MI over the past 5 years - has had one in tanks larger than 180G. Even with very aggressive fish, it stands its own very well as long as you find one that eats and introduce him earlier.

Pls share pix of your wonderful fish collection

OP
OP
Flame2hawk

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it seems like the high fin has lost its popularity as not too many shops would bring in the large adults, which I have seen in person maybe 5 years or more before & would def be interested if there is a good specimen available. It’s prob a good thing that they stay in the ocean. I’ve had good luck with MI over the past 5 years - has had one in tanks larger than 180G. Even with very aggressive fish, it stands its own very well as long as you find one that eats and introduce him earlier.

Pls share pix of your wonderful fish collection
I have in the past but will again once the re-set is complete as affects all 3 tanks. S/b another month or so. Thx!

Back