8.0 Ammonia for almost two months

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
we never got to see the ammonia test rendered the instant the full water change was done, and that was a critical step in calibrating the reading imo

Yes we did - it was zero (I believe unless he mis-explained)

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random thought, since it looks like both the Canister and HOB are online could there be something trapped/dying in the lines of the Canister that are causing it to rise? Seems unlikely though given the badge reading.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MN

No possible mechanism exists for ammonia to be 8 ppm after a full water change unless it's in the topoff water. I believe his tester did not show unchanging ammonia after full swap

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to refresh everyone’s memory...

Well it was the sand I started with in my tank. I combined all kinds of sands from around the world but guess that causes some kind of reaction as the bottom inch was just black dead smelling ....something.

Bought 40 lbs of live sand, another live rock , total water replacement with RODI type. Clear for a few days but ammonia between 1.0 and 4 until a bacteria blooming for the past three days. Cleaned canister bio with tank water and replaced half foams with new pieces as scheduled. The Ammonia has dropped to .25 but my PH was at 7.6. Add PH UP....should I let the bloom run it’s course or do water changes?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
MN

No possible mechanism exists for ammonia to be 8 ppm after a full water change unless it's in the topoff water. I believe his tester did not show unchanging ammonia after full swap
Wow yet another set back. Now my Ammonia is back up to 4.0, have this bloom which has gotten a little better, no signs of nitrite or nitrates and PH stuck at 7.8 maybe. Now what?

Right now it says 0.0 for nitrate but back to now 8.0 ammonia....I can't believe this!

OP
OP
V

Vic73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MN

It gradually rose to 8.0 and stayed, so frustrated.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everyone on here so far told me to get away from API so I did.
There is a prejudice against API - I use them only. Ive tried others -and they are just as difficult. The only 'caveat' is that a .25 ammonia on API may be a zero on another. This is an oft repeated myth (IMHO). It would not cause a change between 0 and >>>>>>>>>8 ppm

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
MN

well you're just thinking in your box - think out of your box.... there are lots of reasons

OP
OP
V

Vic73

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP has changed out all of his sand to 40# of commercial bagged live sand. He has done a 100% water change with saltwater made with RODI. He has purchased preboxed saltwater from the LFS to perform water changes. Yet here we are at 8ppm ammonia again.

So as far as I can tell, we have two variables here. Testing error/bad test kits or the rock that has been in the tank from the start. Hence my recommendation to do a water change of a known quantity and post pictures of a retest to see if the ammonia reading reduces proportionately after that water change. With that hopefully we can rule out testing error. The only variable left that I see is the rock. Am I mistaken here?

How long will live rock live if I don’t have it in water so I can test rock by rock for ammonia?

I don’t know what else to do here.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
MN

Yet it its lol verified at 2 different places - the LFS and his home tank>?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long will live rock live if I don’t have it in water so I can test rock by rock for ammonia?

I don’t know what else to do here.

You could take your 'old rock' out - and retest your tank...

I mean - so - in the old days - you would get a shipment of 'live rock' from Florida - it would sit in vats for weeks - where ammonia would be sky high - as the stuff on the rock died. when that was completed (and needing multiple water changes) the rock was put in the tank..

Others would take live rock from lets say Florida - have it shipped overnight - and put it in their tanks - and let the stuff grow/live survive. Mostly with no problem.. That kind of rock is difficult to find

What kind of 'live rock' did you buy?/use - what was the source.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am officially frustrated. Started a 55 gallon saltwater tank with five live rocks, 20 lbs of live sand and sands I've collected from around the world. After a Marineland canister malfunction switch out keeping the media, I am now three weeks into the new Fluva canister with the old media and I am still at 8.0 ammonia, all other readings are zero. I've done multiple water changes, put bottles of bacteria start up, and now recently seeing I hope is a bacteria bloom after having pretty clear water for a couple of weeks. Any guidance is welcomed.

Curious. have you tried to test the ammonia on just your fresh mixed saltwater -and immediately compared it to a test of yoru tank water?

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a prejudice against API - I use them only. Ive tried others -and they are just as difficult. The only 'caveat' is that a .25 ammonia on API may be a zero on another. This is an oft repeated myth (IMHO). It would not cause a change between 0 and >>>>>>>>>8 ppm
FWIW, the API is the only Ammonia/Nitrite kits I use. Never had an issue other than the well documented .25 issue. I used to use it for Nitrate as well but moved on to Salifert for that since it is easier on the lower range with the little magnifying window.

Not to say there cant be a bad batch of API kits (maybe store is using the same one)... even Hanna has had issues.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious. have you tried to test the ammonia on just your fresh mixed saltwater -and immediately compared it to a test of yoru tank water?

I think this is very sound advice here. Essentially, what we are trying to do here is to determine the source of your high ammonia levels. We have ruled out the sand due to the 100% sand change. Now we have your live rock and maybe even the water you’re getting from your LFS.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water dog nice clarification, we've found a claimed source.

If that's the case, then the entire assessment about bac is skewed due to massive pocketing of waste that would overwhelm bac in anyones tank. When a fish dies, fully cycled reefs often indicate a spike or when sandbeds are partially cleaned we see that as well. confound. Nice detailing, I missed that in the speed of gain here.

if he was experimenting with different types of sand that weren't rinsed/had jerky organics inside awaiting hydration/ at least things start to make sense regarding his off the chart readings knowing that detail

I guess in order to make sense of things, we'll need the no organic accumulation condition in order to measure accurately.

The smell factor cannot be ignored, it would've stank somewhere along the way notably.

*was Prime water conditioner used here at all in the setup?

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 19 82.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 8.7%
Back