$8.99 cleaner shrimp from Petco

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a Aiptesha infection in my 75G so went to get a peppermint shrimp at Petco. Asked the staff for a peppermint shrimp and got this instead for $8.99 :)
tempImagevWwqk9.jpg

Gonna put him in my new AIO. Still need to get an actual peppermint shrimp.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a skunk cleaner shrimp. Very attractive and nice addition to any reef. It won't help with your aptasia problem, but it will be more active during the daytime than a peppermint. You got a good deal on him for $10. My LFS sells them for $24.

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a skunk cleaner shrimp. Very attractive and nice addition to any reef. It won't help with your aptasia problem, but it will be more active during the daytime than a peppermint. You got a good deal on him for $10. My LFS sells them for $24.
$24 is cheap for a cleaner shrimp. They are generally $40 here locally

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You got a steal! As others said, that’s a $40 shrimp ‘round here. I wish my LFS would sometimes give me the wrong things, for cheaper. ;)

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he’s dead:(

Put him in the tank yesterday. He was happy and cleaning the clowns within an hour. However I did a water change today and it died couple hours after. Currently doing a water test but if anyone can help suggest what the cause may be would be much appreciated!! Want to figure out why before tying to put another shrimp in.

the tank is a 32g aio. It’s been 2 weeks since it completed cycling. Water params. 0 amm. 0 nitrite. 10-20 nitrate before water change

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested water. Everything good. Wonder if he got chopped up when I turned the power head back on after water change. Although All his limbs are intact. So not sure what happened

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate? Store salinity may have been quite different than what you run; shrimp are extremely sensitive to change.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
he’s dead:(

Put him in the tank yesterday. He was happy and cleaning the clowns within an hour. However I did a water change today and it died couple hours after. Currently doing a water test but if anyone can help suggest what the cause may be would be much appreciated!! Want to figure out why before tying to put another shrimp in.

the tank is a 32g aio. It’s been 2 weeks since it completed cycling. Water params. 0 amm. 0 nitrite. 10-20 nitrate before water change
What do you have in your tank besides clowns? He looked pretty small. I’m sorry that he died. :(

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my coral banded shrimp from petco for $12.99. I can tell you it’s gets upset and attacks my hand when I go to move things.
1F11F806-9B61-4B07-944C-8BEBF87BB7ED.jpeg

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have in your tank besides clowns? He looked pretty small. I’m sorry that he died. :(
I only had the clowns and a mushroom. I added corals from ifs today after water change. 2 small zoa colonies. Which I dipped in sachem dip for 30min. Double rinsed with tank water after dip before putting in the tank. I should have checked the pumps before turning them on.

OP
OP
jiffyjhn

jiffyjhn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate? Store salinity may have been quite different than what you run; shrimp are extremely sensitive to change.
I did a quick 40 min drip to about 3x the original water before putting him in. He did not seem stressed after going in and was chasing after the fish to clean them. Salinity was 1.024 and store was 1.023. Raised it to 1.025 with water change today.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 108 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back