90 Gallon Build - My First Big Tank!!

awesomelysharky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously, big tank is subjective in a place like this :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I work in an LFS, and we had an Aqueon Reef Ready 90 gallon sit on the floor for a while, as well as a Planet Aquariums Maple Elegance stand (36"). The stars aligned when I downgraded my 29 gal freshwater tank to a 20 long, so I took home the 90 and stand. It currently sits between our china hutch and dish rack. I had been planning to build myself a 40 gallon setup, so I've had a bit of rock cycling in a brute for a few months now. I have had Freshwater tanks for years and saltwater on and off within those years, but didn't get super into corals until I started this job a while ago, and I always wanted a fabulous reef tank bigger than the standard 20-30 gallons I've dealt with usually.

My 20 gallon is predominantly SPS (acros, birdsnest, pollicipora, etc). I'll probably keep the 90 more LPS than anything else because of this. There will be a refugium in the sump with a Nicrew Freshwater Planted Spectrum over it, I already have a lot of Grassilaria hayi so that's going to be my macro of choice, I may even keep a little in the display.

So the build thus far:
Tank: 90 gallon display (48.5" x 18.5" x 25.375")
Sump: 29 gallon DIY (30" x 19" x 13.25") with Fiji baffle kit
Stand: Planet Aquariums Maple Elegance in black 36" tall, which makes the total height of the build about 84" tall, perfectly eye level for my 5'5" self :D
Return: Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0 (598 g/h)
Lights: 2 VIPARSPECTRA 165W LED (to be wall-mounted, hung over the tank)
Skimmer: Reef Octopus Classic 110-s Skimmer
The current plan for wavemakers is to put a Nero 3 on one side and a Nero 5 on the other.

I want to do a mixed reef, but the fun part is it's going to be basically all pink corals! I'll mix in some reds, orange to give it some spectrum and an odd blue or green moment to create some contrast. So far my dream list is:
Sparkling Blue Cespitularia
Pink Octospawn
Pink Cynarina
Pink Goniopora
Hollywood Nights Goniopora
A few pink chalices
A few types of Cyphastrea
Acans/Aussie Lords/Micromussa
I plan to set some plating Montipora on the overflow box to grow out, maybe one of the chalices
A few pink Acros or other branching SPS but otherwise not much else

I'm not super interested in a lot of fish, so most of the ones on my list will be subject to change at any time.
Stock list:
Tomini Tang
Some other bristletooth tang
Skunk Clowns (with either a carpet or seabae nem)
A dragonette
Chalk basslets
Aurora goby with a pistol shrimp

Maybes:
Choat's Red Leopard Wrasse OR some other wrasse (White banded possum?)
Onespot foxface
Scissortail dartfish group
Black barred circus goby
I'm considering either a Potter's or Shephard's dwarf angelfish

It's a slow work in progress, and I will post pictures of every step I can get to! I'm super excited to have more space to play with and work with.

20231218_14013000.jpg 20231218_1401388888.jpg

Real McCoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously, big tank is subjective in a place like this :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

I work in an LFS, and we had an Aqueon Reef Ready 90 gallon sit on the floor for a while, as well as a Planet Aquariums Maple Elegance stand (36"). The stars aligned when I downgraded my 29 gal freshwater tank to a 20 long, so I took home the 90 and stand. It currently sits between our china hutch and dish rack. I had been planning to build myself a 40 gallon setup, so I've had a bit of rock cycling in a brute for a few months now. I have had Freshwater tanks for years and saltwater on and off within those years, but didn't get super into corals until I started this job a while ago, and I always wanted a fabulous reef tank bigger than the standard 20-30 gallons I've dealt with usually.

My 20 gallon is predominantly SPS (acros, birdsnest, pollicipora, etc). I'll probably keep the 90 more LPS than anything else because of this. There will be a refugium in the sump with a Nicrew Freshwater Planted Spectrum over it, I already have a lot of Grassilaria hayi so that's going to be my macro of choice, I may even keep a little in the display.

So the build thus far:
Stand: Planet Aquariums Maple Elegance in black 36" tall, which makes the total height of the build about 84" tall, perfectly eye level for my 5'5" self :D
The current plan for wavemakers is to put a Nero 3 on one side and a Nero 5 on the other.

I want to do a mixed reef, but the fun part is it's going to be basically all pink corals! I'll mix in some reds, orange to give it some spectrum and an odd blue or green moment to create some contrast. So far my dream list is:
Pink Octospawn
Pink Cynarina
Pink Goniopora
A few pink chalices
I plan to set some plating Montipora on the overflow box to grow out, maybe one of the chalices

I'm not super interested in a lot of fish, so most of the ones on my list will be subject to change at any time.
Stock list:
Tomini Tang
A dragonette
Chalk basslets

Maybes:
Onespot foxface
Black barred circus goby

It's a slow work in progress, and I will post pictures of every step I can get to! I'm super excited to have more space to play with and work with.

Looking good.One question how long did it take for the water to clear up?Just curiosity, because I'm upgrading to a 224 and swapping out my 80.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grats! Looks great with so much promise ahead Why pink? Great color but the beauty of a reef is all the colors that are possible. But if you set on it try the dayglo favia. Pink with yellow eyes.

OP
OP
awesomelysharky

awesomelysharky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good.One question how long did it take for the water to clear up?Just curiosity, because I'm upgrading to a 224 and swapping out my 80.
24 hours for crystal clear water, I am only running a cheap pond pump in the actual display so I have been swapping filter floss over the pump's intake.

OP
OP
awesomelysharky

awesomelysharky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grats! Looks great with so much promise ahead Why pink? Great color but the beauty of a reef is all the colors that are possible. But if you set on it try the dayglo favia. Pink with yellow eyes.
I just really like pink corals. All the other colors are fantastic, but the shades that pink corals can manage with the right conditions is just so much my vibe.
If I decide I want more color - oh darn, I have to get more corals :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So the build thus far:

Pink Octospawn
Pink Cynarina
Pink Goniopora
A few pink chalices

Stock list:
Tomini Tang
A dragonette
Chalk basslets

Maybes:
Onespot foxface
Black barred circus goby

Nice looking aquascape!

ChefCab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Can't wait to see the progress. Reminds me of my starting point. 1 year later there is a world of difference. Enjoy the ride.

Attachments

• 20221228_162705.jpg
    20221228_162705.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 95
  • tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 95

lobione559

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take of pic of how you plumb it? Looking to buy that exact one, how you set up the overflow

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back