A case of stupidity...

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I was at the market here in BKK and decided to pick up a small cowfish from a shop that is clean, well stocked, and seems to take care of their fish. I asked him to feed the fish which he did and the fish ate. I didn't notice at the shop but on the car ride back home I noticed a few mild signs of Ich which I didn't take too seriously because I know I already have Ich in my aquarium system but its well managed by polyp lab medic and an occasional low dose of hydrogen peroxide. Well I woke up this morning and my sailfin tang is sick with what I think is a bad case of Ich...he's active but breathing heavily. The cowfish looks about the same...last night he was tasting everything to see if it was food. Is this Ich alone I'm dealing with or something else as well? I feel like velvet would have killed the cowfish already and he wouldn't have had such an appetite to taste everything in the tank...just a stupid case of failure to quarantine because I thought I was already well managing an already present sickness. Please help guys. IMG20210811071136.jpg IMG20210811071105.jpg IMG20210811071054.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly looks like ick.
It’s a tang, you could put him in hypo salinity (1.009)
Will take a week or two but if you have ick in your DT, it must go without fish for 76 days (safe) or 45 with elevated temperature.
Otherwise, your tang or tangs will have future outbreaks.

Wick3d_1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can treat the Tang with copper or if you wanna just relieve symptoms and hope he/she fights it off, a freshwater dip. The Cowfish is intolerant to copper so a freshwater dip and TTM is the only way to treat it (if that's the route you wanna go.) Boosting their immune system and keeping them eating will go a long way if you are just trying to manage having ich in the system versus eradicating it. If you want eradication, it's copper or TTM with hospital tanks and a 76 day fallow period for the DT.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly looks like ick.
It’s a tang, you could put him in hypo salinity (1.009)
Will take a week or two but if you have ick in your DT, it must go without fish for 76 days (safe) or 45 with elevated temperature.
Otherwise, your tang or tangs will have future outbreaks.
I'll go with hypo since it appears to be Ich alone...I have a friend and even read a post
You can treat the Tang with copper or if you wanna just relieve symptoms and hope he/she fights it off, a freshwater dip. The Cowfish is intolerant to copper so a freshwater dip and TTM is the only way to treat it (if that's the route you wanna go.) Boosting their immune system and keeping them eating will go a long way if you are just trying to manage having ich in the system versus eradicating it. If you want eradication, it's copper or TTM with hospital tanks and a 76 day fallow period for the DT.
I'm going to treat and try to manage at this point because prior to this outbreak, management was working just fine

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll go with hypo since it appears to be Ich alone...I have a friend and even read a post

I'm going to treat and try to manage at this point because prior to this outbreak, management was working just fine
If he looked fine yesterday and he has this many spots already I would guess velvet, but I'm no expert.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I was at the market here in BKK and decided to pick up a small cowfish from a shop that is clean, well stocked, and seems to take care of their fish. I asked him to feed the fish which he did and the fish ate. I didn't notice at the shop but on the car ride back home I noticed a few mild signs of Ich which I didn't take too seriously because I know I already have Ich in my aquarium system but its well managed by polyp lab medic and an occasional low dose of hydrogen peroxide. Well I woke up this morning and my sailfin tang is sick with what I think is a bad case of Ich...he's active but breathing heavily. The cowfish looks about the same...last night he was tasting everything to see if it was food. Is this Ich alone I'm dealing with or something else as well? I feel like velvet would have killed the cowfish already and he wouldn't have had such an appetite to taste everything in the tank...just a stupid case of failure to quarantine because I thought I was already well managing an already present sickness. Please help guys. IMG20210811071136.jpg IMG20210811071105.jpg IMG20210811071054.jpg
Ich doesn’t cause rapid breathing until the infection is pretty far along. I couldn’t tell - how long ago did you add the cowfish to your tank? Upon first read I thought the sailfin looked like this the day after you added the cowfish, but in re reading things, it wasn’t clear…..
Jay

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich doesn’t cause rapid breathing until the infection is pretty far along. I couldn’t tell - how long ago did you add the cowfish to your tank? Upon first read I thought the sailfin looked like this the day after you added the cowfish, but in re reading things, it wasn’t clear…..
Jay
Yes, this is the morning after adding the cowfish...he did have Ich previously though but it didn't look serious and he fought it off just using Polyp Lab Medic....he is currently eating a little

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, this is the morning after adding the cowfish...he did have Ich previously though but it didn't look serious and he fought it off just using Polyp Lab Medic....he is currently eating a little
Ok, then the cowfish didn’t cause this, way too fast, even for velvet. The tang must have had this cooking beforehand.
Cowfish can be treated with coppersafe, but I ndetstand people being leery about it. Hyposalinity is also fine for ich.
Jay

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, then the cowfish didn’t cause this, way too fast, even for velvet. The tang must have had this cooking beforehand.
Cowfish can be treated with coppersafe, but I ndetstand people being leery about it. Hyposalinity is also fine for ich.
Jay
Will cupramine work in place of coppersafe?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Agree with jays' comments and cowfish very prone to disease and quite difficult to treat and feed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will cupramine work in place of coppersafe?
I don’t think Cupramine is as safe on cowfish/puffers as coppersafe…but I don’t have a lot of direct experience.
Jay

Back