A deeper look into the Giesemann Spectra T5/MH Hybrid Fixture | BRStv Investigates

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Today on BRStv Investigates, we continue our series on optimal lighting for SPS corals with a complete look at the Giesemann Spectra T5/MH Hybrid Fixture! Being proven lighting options for healthy and colorful SPS corals, the T5/MH combo is sure to impress with its performance in this test and today, Ryan gives you the data! :)

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 72" Spectra and love it, thanks for this review, I run my light 10 inches above the tank rim, lowered it to 8 inches and burned a strawberry short cake mounted near the top about 6 inches below the water. This review helped me understand why, whole lot of PAR at the top and I guess when I lowered it the SSC caught a dose of light reflected off the glass since it was mounted near the left side glass, gives me a lot better insight into how the spread is in the tank esp. on that side. Thanks Guys

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing review! I own the 48" Spectra, so it was very nice seeing all of the PAR measurements without me trying to do it myself lol.

One quick question that I didn't see touched on in the video... what wattage MH bulbs were you using for the PAR test?

Thanks,

Toby

FTS + Stand by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Last edited:

Jeepersreefers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170526_141636.jpg
I have the coralife lunar hoT5 it has 2 10,000k daylight T5 HO 31 watt and 2 actinic blue HO T5 31 watt is this a good light for a 36gallon tank 30x12x22 ? i have mostly lps and softies but i would lile to know if ita good for sps of i evee went this route ?

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing review! I own the 48" Spectra, so it was very nice seeing all of the PAR measurements without me trying to do it myself lol.

One quick question that I didn't see touched on in the video... what wattage MH bulbs were you using for the PAR test?

Thanks,

Toby

FTS + Stand by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

250 watt. You have an awesome set up btw : )

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250 watt. You have an awesome set up btw : )

Thanks Ryan @Ryanbrs , that happens to be what I'm running. I also wanted to thank you and the rest of the BRS crew. I know these videos and the testing associated with each one take a tremendous amount of time to produce. I think I can safely speak for everyone here at R2R... we really appreciate it!

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the video and the great amount of information!
Not sure if it was mentioned or I just missed it but whice MH bulbs and T5 bulbs were being used?

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They used 250w Radium MH bulbs driven at 250w on electronic ballasts (Luxcore). ATI Blue+ and aquablue special.

I have the 48" with the same bulbs except I use all Blue+ and I drive the Radiums on the super lumen setting. Love this light.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I love Halide, the overall cost of running a fixture like the Geisemann with bulb replacement, heat generated and the subsequent necessity of a chiller, not to mention the month to month cost of the electricity, caused me to switch to Radion LED. Yes the Radions are expensive, but during the summer months, the monthly bill was half the cost of my replacement LED's. Cost of ownership was a break even point in 3 months.
Having an SPS dominant tank the PAR and visual appearance was a real concern, but since switching, I now wonder what took me so long to pull the trigger on LED. Glad I did..

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually went the opposite direction. Well, PC a long time ago. Then LED. Now MH on the new tank. I keep my tank in the basement so heat really isn't a problem for me. Growth and color seems to come quite easier for me and after spending thousands of dollars on the set up the cost of bulbs and a little more electricity doesn't really bother me.

dvbrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there a review of the DE MH Infiniti light? I'd like to know why the reviews are so different.

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there a review of the DE MH Infiniti light? I'd like to know why the reviews are so different.

Unfortunately we didn't get to that one before changing directions on BRStv Investigates. We do have a laundry list of these types of videos to do, but not entirely sure if/when we'll get back to them.

dvbrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
week 20 of BRS investigates Metal halide did show the fixture in testing. I
didn't find that until I had posted. Thanks Randy

TriggerFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead. I am finalizing the details of my new build. 550 gallons DT + 125 gallons sump. I have some Radions from the previous two tanks but I certainly love the way the tanks with MH + T5s look.

I keep reading mixed reviews about going this route: "MH will soon be dead and impossible to get the bulbs", "So much heat in Texas will drive your electric bill through the roof", etc.

I can get the Geisemman Stellar and use Radion + T5s and probably increase some whites in the AB+ program to reach a similar look, but will it really work as well? Overall, is it really that much hotter than LEDs? As for electric bill, 250 watt per Radio (Which I would need 6 or 8 of them for my tank) seems to be a washout in terms of electricity.

I usually keep my house around 72 - 74 degrees. BTW - New tank is 120 x 36 x 30, so I would need two of the 60" fixtures.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a shame BRS isn't carrying these fixtures any more :(

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 4' version over my tank (~48"Lx31.5"Dx20"H). I have two 250w radiums that I overdrive at 300w each and the four 54w T5s. I keep my house at about 72 degrees year round. I have never had an issue with heat. When the halides are on the heaters don't run as much but my tank has never risen above the temp my Profilux has it set to.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 75 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back