A few spots that appear to be ich

gtnail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I have ich starting in my tank. Wondering if I can get away with moving all my fish between a 40g and 20g and treating with copper than sterilizing the tanks and keep them in the two tanks for the fallow period in my dt. I have a long nose hawk, foxface, hippo tang, sailfin, powder brown, 6 line, lawnmower ,ywg ,pair of clowns, purple firefish, and royal grammar. The powder brown, foxface and sailfin are the only medium sized fish everything else is small.

20230724_112729.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Pretty sure I have ich starting in my tank. Wondering if I can get away with moving all my fish between a 40g and 20g and treating with copper than sterilizing the tanks and keep them in the two tanks for the fallow period in my dt. I have a long nose hawk, foxface, hippo tang, sailfin, powder brown, 6 line, lawnmower ,ywg ,pair of clowns, purple firefish, and royal grammar. The powder brown, foxface and sailfin are the only medium sized fish everything else is small.

20230724_112729.jpg
While you can do both, assure no overcrowding and good oxygen levels maintained with good water quality and added oxygen via air stones. Typical protocol is to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank as you intend to will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off. Again, maintain water quality and oxygen
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20230724_112729.jpg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The one large white spot I can see on the tang is too large to be ich. The picture is a bit foggy and the fish is far away, so there could be actual ich spots on it, just not visible to me.

With true ich, you'll see salt-sized white spots that come an go on some fish (but not all of them at first). Every few days, the number of spots and their location on the fish will change, but there will be an overall trend for the spots to increase in number, then the fish begin to act sick and if you don't treat at that point, you'll start to lose them.

Do you see spots on the powder brown? They usually show ich first.

Jay

OP
OP
G

gtnail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing on the powder brown or any other fish. The hippo does wedge in the rocks pretty tight at night. I have seen it rub on the rocks a couple times too

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back