OP
OP
L

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i dosed kanaplex and metroplex this morning as per the labels.
This evening i tried to feed them, the scopas eats everything, yellow will now eat only frozen and will not touch pellets or nori and the sick purple will not eat anything.

Now, do i break treatment and isolate the purple until he goes to fish heaven or do i continue treatment?
I think he is too Far gone...;Sorry

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i dosed kanaplex and metroplex this morning as per the labels.
This evening i tried to feed them, the scopas eats everything, yellow will now eat only frozen and will not touch pellets or nori and the sick purple will not eat anything.

Now, do i break treatment and isolate the purple until he goes to fish heaven or do i continue treatment?
I think he is too Far gone...;Sorry
I'm sorry to hear that. :(

I would continue the treatment if for no other reason the fish are sharing water. It may help protect his tankmates even if he doesn't pull through.

OP
OP
L

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fear for the yellow tang...
I will be moving the yellow and scopas out to a sterile qt asap.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Although ich is visible, bacteria and skin wound seems more the risk to fish. A freshwater dip is probably out at this point and doses of Furan and kanaplex will be necessary. for the wound, API Melafix should help. Is fish at least eating?
If so , add selcon or similar vitamins to food as well as garlic extract

OP
OP
L

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it, but its definitely not ich.
The dots are infected stabbing wounds from the other tangs attacks.
The infection got worse as for yesterday's morning and the fish is not eating.
I started a kanaplex and metroplex treatment, fish looks a little better but is reclusive and not eating.
I did a 50% wc this morning and he actually started to swim a little bit so i hope he'll pull through. I will continue the kanaplex treatment as per seachem instructions
I'll keep you posted

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water dip could take care of it at that stage, but copper would for sure work, and the temperature method

OP
OP
L

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water dips does nothing for bacterial infections or ich.
As does the temperature changes.

Antibiotics for infections, copper for ich (which is not the case)

OP
OP
L

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RtomKinMad Thanks for asking,
I dosed kanaplex and metroplex and he stopped eating.
I did a 50% wc and dosed kanaplex only as i thought that the mix of the two meds is too much for it..
He started to eat and looks better this morning. I will dose three more treatments and see what's up

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RtomKinMad Thanks for asking,
I dosed kanaplex and metroplex and he stopped eating.
I did a 50% wc and dosed kanaplex only as i thought that the mix of the two meds is too much for it..
He started to eat and looks better this morning. I will dose three more treatments and see what's up
Awesome! Yah. How big of a tank will these three go into after quarantine? Hopefully once they are in a larger space they won’t fight. I’m so glad it’s getting better. Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
OP
L

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will go into a 100g tank. Lots of rocks caves and hiding places
I hope aggression will drop as well.

I will be starting a hospital rack today, so i hope they'll be separated tomorrow

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will go into a 100g tank. Lots of rocks caves and hiding places
I hope aggression will drop as well.

I will be starting a hospital rack today, so i hope they'll be separated tomorrow
Very nice! Hopefully once in their bigger space should be fine. We put 11 tangs in 300gal all at the same time. The naso died for no reason that I could tell and then we did have agression and had to rearrange the rocks then just ended up removing some of the tangs. Moved two to our FO system and bought a 93 cube for two others. Down to five in the 300gal now and finally have peace. I tried to follow the three rule of each family but it still didn’t work. I was lucky to have a different plan just in case. I’m so glad the purple is doing better they are such beautiful fish! Good luck and keep us posted!

OP
OP
L

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure will!
I'm glad you found a good solution for all the tangs
They are such beautiful fish but the aggression is sometimes too much..
I had 6 tangs in a 150g and even though there were some high speed chases, it wasn't bad,
Its the scopas who show the most aggression.
I think i will put him in the dt after the other two will settle in for 3 days or so,
Just to give them a fighting chance

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure will!
I'm glad you found a good solution for all the tangs
They are such beautiful fish but the aggression is sometimes too much..
I had 6 tangs in a 150g and even though there were some high speed chases, it wasn't bad,
Its the scopas who show the most aggression.
I think i will put him in the dt after the other two will settle in for 3 days or so,
Just to give them a fighting chance
That’s a really good idea. My scopa was the first to move. He and purple never got along. But I’ve seen others do it with no problem. My dejardini really is the most mellow. It and the yellow are buddies! The Regal rules the tank though. My Caribbean blue was the worst it actually just bite the scopa a few weeks ago so bad that we got fin rot and the scopa died in quarantine with furon. My Caribbean blue goes up against a 10” Sohal gets beaten up and goes back for more. It’s crazy! The Sohal reply otherwise just ignored it and the Sohal and scopa never fought. Tang behave is definitely interesting. Have a purple and tomini in 93 cube and the work together also. I just had to find which ones that work together. I thought it wouldn’t matter with 300gal! I like your thought process hope the fish do also! Good luck!

OP
OP
L

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
He started eating again so im adding metroplex to the food.
The infection got worse, now with red wounds.
I moved him to a separate sterile tank to avoid infecting the other tangs and to reduce stress.
At tge moment my bets are that he will not make it,
I am however going to do what ever I can to give him the best chance.

I got my hospital rack up and running with a clarkii and a blue tang from a hobbyist which had him for three years.
Starting copper treatment tomorrow morning. More tanks are coming next week
20190215_140030.jpg

OP
OP
L

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the yellow tang made a full recovery, and i didn't want her to catch something else and to reduce stress for the purple tang, i decided to put them in the dt. Aggression dropped to almost none and they look good and eat well.
I'm still treating my purple tang in the hospital tank with antibiotics, we'll see how it works out..
20190216_182140.jpg

20190216_181640.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update
After 2 full treatments of kanaplex and feeding with metroplex, the tang looked much better but the infection was not completely gone.
It acted reclusive and it was clearly not doing well.
I decided to treat it with anti fungal and bacterial ointment i had in my medicine closet. I netted the tang and he was feeling so bad that he didn't even tried to escape.
I put a little of the ointment on the infection which by now spread to both sides of his body and covered about 60 percent of his sides, but without open wounds due to the kanaplex treatment.
After 24 hours there was a huge improvement! He was very active and the infection was getting smaller.
After two more treatments at 48 hours apart, he is all healthy and ready to join the dt
I will move him to an observation tank for another 10 days before putting him in the dt

Thanks for all of your help! sorry for the bad pictures, both of us saying thanks R2R!
20190226_080854.jpg

20190226_080850.jpg

OP
OP
L

Liron Mishal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 4 days of aggression,
it settled in and seems to be accepted by the other tangs.
A happy ending
20190301_085550.jpg

Back