A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

Have you ever kept feather dusters?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 94 38.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 33 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

Whether the feather dusters showed up in your reef aquarium as hitchhikers or through intentional introduction, they add something unique and even magical to an aquarium setting. Feather dusters come in a range of colors and patterns and their movement as they filter the water for food is enjoyable to watch. Good water quality, stability of the water parameters, and a slow transition can all help with maintaining the health of these creatures as well as maintaining them in areas of moderate light and flow. Additionally, protection and gentle treatment of their tubes is also important. Because they tend to stay retracted when the conditions are less-than-optimal, they can also be effective indicators for the observant reef keeper to identify potential issues. What about your tank – have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium? Please tell us about your experience in the related discussion and we’d love to see pictures of your feather dusters!

ExclusiveCorals_FeatherDuster.jpeg

Photo by @Exclusive Corals

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely!! I had this one for years before breaking down this particular tank and it was incredibly easy to care for like other feather dusters, inexpensive, and even came on a big chunk of live rock completely encrusted with coralline algae! How can anyone say this worm isn't absolutely beautiful even in a picture which isn't great?!
Screenshot_2024-03-27-20-42-51-774_com.miui.gallery.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Feather duster or coco worms are in my plans for the future

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always get hundreds of little hitch hiker fanworms but the one time i tried a coco worm, my old clown murdered it :/

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a Christmas tree rock of that counts (porites + symbiotic worms)

IMG_20240327_150120 (1).jpg
Nice! I've kept Christmas Tree Worms in the past as well. My experience (and I've heard others have had the same experience) is that it's difficult to keep the Porites colorful and healthy for worm species in the Spirobranchus genus that tend to favor them as hosts. I'd be curious whether other Christmas Tree Worm species that host different coral species or choose nonliving substrate to settle on and grow would be easier for the typical hobbyist to keep healthy. I absolutely love them except for the fact that I've only seen or ever even heard of one way they're collected which I'm really not a fan of. Hopefully one day soon they'll be able to be bred in captivity to avoid harming the host coral!

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find these more fascinating than most corals since they are more active and sole reason to seek some live rock hoping they are attached.

ReefLegends

For all your phyto, rotifer and copepods needs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love feather dusters, coco worms and Christmas tree rocks. I currently have a system setup to clean up Christmas tree rocks, wile enriching them before sending them off to forever homes.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I've kept Christmas Tree Worms in the past as well. My experience (and I've heard others have had the same experience) is that it's difficult to keep the Porites colorful and healthy for worm species in the Spirobranchus genus that tend to favor them as hosts. I'd be curious whether other Christmas Tree Worm species that host different coral species or choose nonliving substrate to settle on and grow would be easier for the typical hobbyist to keep healthy. I absolutely love them except for the fact that I've only seen or ever even heard of one way they're collected which I'm really not a fan of. Hopefully one day soon they'll be able to be bred in captivity to avoid harming the host coral!
The porites species usually stays brown. The only time it got a green tint was when my nutrients bottomed out. But this is dangerous for my other corals. It also grows extremely slowly, 5-10mm per year max. The worms one the other hand are simple to keep. I don't feed a lot of phytoplankton but I also don't have a lot of filtration.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The porites species usually stays brown. The only time it got a green tint was when my nutrients bottomed out. But this is dangerous for my other corals. It also grows extremely slowly, 5-10mm per year max. The worms one the other hand are simple to keep. I don't feed a lot of phytoplankton but I also don't have a lot of filtration.
Yeah, I never had a problem with the worms, I preferred keeping my nutrients low which I think the Porites appreciated. The worms are simply suspension feeders which I had already researched before buying so I was prepared. They're truly fascinating little creatures imo! Like I mentioned previously, I just hope in the near future they can induce spawning in captivity to avoid the way they have to collect them.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do spiniod worms count?
I think we're counting any annelids here haha... Christmas Tree Worms aren't feather dusters either...post pics!

Edit: I just realized you're likely talking about undesirable spinoid worms haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back