AB+ and the Mitras LX 7

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

CarpeDiemIris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, all. I set out to recreate the proven Ecotech CoralLab AB+ spectrum on the LX7, and it's ready to share! Attached, you'll find the GHL Light Composer project. It's a very simple schedule that ramps up, emits its AB+ goodness, and ramps down. Running the project requires some power balancing and running the light at high output/90%.

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 4.22.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 4.23.50 PM.png

If you want to manage the channels manually, the settings are above.

Hope this helps, and please feel free to hit me up here or over on IG (@telegraham).

Be kind, y'all.

Jim
Thank you for sharing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
telegraham

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of an old thread but I’d be curious to see how Vinny’s, Telegram’s and the ReefRocker schedules all compare.
In terms of coral health and growth there would be little to no difference. Try all three and see which is visually most appealing to you. That will be your pick.

OP
OP
telegraham

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already run the AB+ one. Was just curious how close all of them are to each other spectrum wise. They seem very similar.
ReefRocker's will be less white looking than mine. I'll have to download Vinny's to see his settings.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my current Mitras config. No power balancing. I run two Mitras and a single ReeFi Uno Pro 2.0 over a 4' IM100.

IMG_3340.jpg
1705646352369.png

The levels look similar but are pretty different due to the power balancing. I think you said that you stopped using the power balanced profile due to ReefBum's results, who was not using it?

I have played with a few different profiles, including the those above. One thing is for sure with the power balance as shown above on one fixture and the other with the same levels, but neutral power balance, the heat difference in the Mitras is insanely different. Visible light output not so much (just not as blue on the neutral PB fixture). I never bother to get the PAR meter out.

I just have a 75 with 2x 7206 but have considered a 7204 in between them for better coverage, a bit more PAR and the ability to turn down the power just a bit on all of them.

OP
OP
telegraham

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eefBum's results, who was not using it?
You're correct that Keith is not using power balancing, and when I put my Mitras up over the IM100, I did not configure power balancing. With balancing, there is a spectral difference, it isn't significant, but it's worth noting that the three-light combo makes me, and the spectrometer, happy.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be very similar to what I'm running. Luca's Meso Blues are strong below 450nm.
What is the supplement that you are running - Wasn't it an AliE mono color bar? Is it aesthetic or do you feel that it adds something for the coral?

I have the 7206 split for a few months. 1 with balancing, 1 without. I can't tell much of a growth difference, but have a really nice colony under the power balanced and am kinda afraid to alter it (that plan was to do away with PB).

OP
OP
telegraham

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the supplement that you are running - Wasn't it an AliE mono color bar? Is it aesthetic or do you feel that it adds something for the coral?

I have the 7206 split for a few months. 1 with balancing, 1 without. I can't tell much of a growth difference, but have a really nice colony under the power balanced and am kinda afraid to alter it (that plan was to do away with PB).
I run two Mitras and a single ReeFi Uno Pro 2.0 over a 4' IM100.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh - so I assume the Uno Pro is in the center between the Mitras, where I would place the 7204.

Interesting. I assume you get decent overlap, but more-so in the center 2/3 of the tank.

So - in your opinion do I run the 7204 or something like (or the) Uno Pro 2.0 ?

I assume you are doing so for bother color rendering and what you feel is missing or to complement UV from the Mitras?

OP
OP
telegraham

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh - so I assume the Uno Pro is in the center between the Mitras, where I would place the 7204.

Interesting. I assume you get decent overlap, but more-so in the center 2/3 of the tank.

So - in your opinion do I run the 7204 or something like (or the) Uno Pro 2.0 ?

I assume you are doing so for bother color rendering and what you feel is missing or to complement UV from the Mitras?
The Uno is between both Mitras 7206s, all three are about 12" above the lid, and the Uno has the 120° reflector fitted.
I'd say the overlap is a little more than 2/3 given the mounting height and reflector.

As for what light to select, there's nothing wrong with a 7204, but I like the Uno's price point and strong sub-450nm performance.

Regarding why I'm using the Uno, I purchased it on pre-order for testing, and after playing with it, decided it was a really good light. I have a buying for testing/keeping problem.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. I am now on the fence. I like the idea of diversified spectrum so that leans me away from the 7204 in the middle. However, i am pretty attached to my Mitras ramping and would prefer not to add yet one more control app into the mix, esp one dependent on an outside webservice, etc.

I don't know anything about ReeFi integration and/or how I could manage to control it form the GHL. Something to look into.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the response. I am now on the fence. I like the idea of diversified spectrum so that leans me away from the 7204 in the middle. However, i am pretty attached to my Mitras ramping and would prefer not to add yet one more control app into the mix, esp one dependent on an outside webservice, etc.

I don't know anything about ReeFi integration and/or how I could manage to control it form the GHL. Something to look into.
Forgive me for not seeing the plots. I assume looking quickly at the specs, the ReeFis basically fills in the 400 that is missing from the Mitras and gives a smooth transition from 390 to 450?

Can you point me to your combined spectral plots or the ReeFi side by side with the Mitras as you have both set?

Do you feel that the lower end UV range has provided you growth/health benefits before/after adding it?

OP
OP
telegraham

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me for not seeing the plots. I assume looking quickly at the specs, the ReeFis basically fills in the 400 that is missing from the Mitras and gives a smooth transition from 390 to 450?

Can you point me to your combined spectral plots or the ReeFi side by side with the Mitras as you have both set?

Do you feel that the lower end UV range has provided you growth/health benefits before/after adding it?
Happy to help! The ReeFi alone is a fantastic light, but I very much appreciate having access to the whiter spectrum from the Mitras. And your assumption is correct...the Uno 2 does fill in the sub-450 spectrum quite well.

This is the Uno running the settings shown:
1705757847286.png

1705757864493.png

The Uno was still ramping, but you can see the limits the sliders set.

This is the combined spectrum:
1705757936529.png

The Mitras definately adds to the sub-400nm with thier 380nm UV diodes, and the ReeFi builds on the spectrum with its 400nm light. Above that, the violet and indigo from both lights fit together nicely.

I don't have a spectrum shot of the Mitras at their current settings, but I can add that later if you'd like. Regardless, you get the idea.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 40 65.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%
Back