about duncans...

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's so special about'em other than the fact that it has a restricted export status? I think this high price on'em is kinda ridiculous...seing that they look just like some of my torch corals, no exotic colors or anything, no growth rate of PPEs or OPEs...just ordinary LPS.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they actually grow quite fast, i went from one polyp to about 6in a little over two months

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully this pointless hype and their price will decrease as people realize that there is nothing so special about'em...at least from what i can tell...

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the one i have is ora, so in that regard it is special. it has been in captivity for a while and is well adjusted.

honestly 100 per head is no more out of line than 50 per polyp for some of the more popular morphs

jafoca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its a fad coral.... blastos used to be, acans were more faddy and still are a bit, micros are very fad at the moment, and duncans are the newest competitor. The thing is I don't think they are remarkable looking either. Give me some hot blastos any day!

d.grcich

Fat bottom girls
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not big on them myself but decided to pick one up. It rocks! Mine is very mettalic green and the 1 and a half head I got not but a week or so ago has 3 tiny heads starting to grow on one side. I would say they are worth every penny. I hope it is a fad then I can aford to buy a bunch more\\:D/
saltwater370.jpg

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also didn't think much of them till i saw them inperson. i have always kept tubastrea, and these remind me of those, except green

OP
OP
Kigs!

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
found this dude that's willing to trade his duncan for some zoas...since i can't really ID duncans clearly, maybe you guys can tell if it's authetic or not? this is a photo he sent

Duncans.jpg

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd say the one on top is the ora one, the bottom looks like the ones coming into roes lately

Vamp75

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd say the one on top is the ora one, the bottom looks like the ones coming into roes lately

Agreed, ORA has been propagating theirs for quite a while and hold a very nice color. The others are the australian ones that are very drab in color.

Zeppelin

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool coral. The wild ones coming in are a bit smaller, and not as colorful as the ORA morph. The wild ones have been a bit cheaper lately. I think the captive propagated bright green ORA morph will always hold its value.

Every coral has a 'fad' stage. Whenever a large group of the saltwater reef community becomes interested in a coral, or a specific morph, its considered a 'fad'. Duncans have been popular with collectors for probably 8-10 years now. For the longest time, the ORA one was about the only one you could get. With the wild ones coming in, the current availability has just increased the interest.

Like some of the 'non-indo' acan lord morphs, I'd bet the ORA morph will always be the one Duncan enthusiasts will want to get ahold of.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one coming, I will see what the hype is all about.....They are just like Rhrizos and others now, back in the mid 90's there was a LFS that I would spend $100s of dollars a month at, that was getting these now fad corals. They were cheap compared to nowadays. I remember specifically going in one day and seeing a Rhizotrochus in a bright green for $100.....Now they are like $500-$1000. They were even rare back then, just now there is a small demand for them so up goes the price...I do like the ORA Duncan's though, hopefully the one I get will be sweet.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back