About ready to quit

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need an alternative for the mag- float. The first time I scratched my DT, I was mad but said, user error. I've got an 8' long display and I was using the medium mag, not the right size but these dang things are expensive. Upgraded to the big one. I was being careful, very very careful.... I just put a 14" scratch right in the front of my DT...

Needless to say the part in my hand is nowhere to be found... it's somewhere, I just can't find it after it went airborne. The half that goes in the tank is in the sink.

Short and skinny of it, I'm looking for an alternative to this device.i know acrylic scratches far more easily than glass but if there is a way to clean the display outside of using this dang thing, im all ears.

Help, please. All suggestions welcome.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need an alternative for the mag- float. The first time I scratched my DT, I was mad but said, user error. I've got an 8' long display and I was using the medium mag, not the right size but these dang things are expensive. Upgraded to the big one. I was being careful, very very careful.... I just put a 14" scratch right in the front of my DT...

Needless to say the part in my hand is nowhere to be found... it's somewhere, I just can't find it after it went airborne. The half that goes in the tank is in the sink.

Short and skinny of it, I'm looking for an alternative to this device.i know acrylic scratches far more easily than glass but if there is a way to clean the display outside of using this dang thing, im all ears.

Magic eraser works for me. Both on glass and acrylic.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also bought a polishing kit for the exterior. Takes 10 minutes with a drill. Mask off the top prior to use.
Huge difference.

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the inside? I've used that before on the exterior of the tank but never inside.... the inside of the DT is what scratched.

The part that astounds me is I was almost 2' above the sand so I was shocked when it happened.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The regular non scented original magic eraser works pretty well on acrylic. I have used a credit card before too. All of these involve your hands in the tank though.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also a way to work on scratches with the water in tank I believe...or if you can drop the water level below.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes..I've used a credit card before. I have glass now but a 28 nano and I never had any noticeable scratches. One of the thinner things like hotel room keys work well

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, thats no fun.
Credit card is softer then acrylics.
I bought a 50 pack of cards on amazon for coraline on acrylic

OP
OP
F

fugetaboutit05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes..I've used a credit card before. I have glass now but a 28 nano and I never had any noticeable scratches. One of the thinner things like hotel room keys work
Maybe a combo of the credit card and magic eraser would be a path to explore.

The card would take off any heavy build up, the eraser to clean up the finer and snail trails

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post the brand you use?
Probably a wet sand paper..which of course needs to be wet whilst using. That would work. Any micro scratches left while using would be unseen. Don't press hard while doing it and let the paper do the work..small light circular motion would be best.

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used the mighty magnet method?
I just
Can you post the brand you use?
I got it from Amazon. It has different grits.
20221207_203101.jpg

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a wet sand paper..which of course needs to be wet whilst using. That would work. Any micro scratches left while using would be unseen. Don't press hard while doing it and let the paper do the work..small light circular motion would be best.
Exactly it works well take your time too.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's deep you could also start with a lower grit like 1500..then step down to 2000 then 2500..or step down in between that even.
1500/1800/2000/2200/2500. Every 500 should be a enough if you need it though

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a combo of the credit card and magic eraser would be a path to explore.

The card would take off any heavy build up, the eraser to clean up the finer and snail trails
Magic eraser will take off coraline too if you work a little harder.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 106 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.1%

Back