About to Quit

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I do, but I’m not sure if the checker would detect the levels of copper in the tank considering the pads and CupriSorb. I think the reason why the tank is doing better for short periods is because the media is absorbing the metals and cleaning the water for a couple of days, but as they become less and less effective, the original issue returns.

Very frustrating. Talk about a money pit.
Did you ever check your DT water with the Hanna checker before you started using the copper absorbing media? I would think you'd be able to see a small signal at least with the Hanna if that was the problem.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever check your DT water with the Hanna checker before you started using the copper absorbing media? I would think you'd be able to see a small signal at least with the Hanna if that was the problem.
The high range Hanna copper tester is not suited for measuring the trace amounts of copper ICP indicates are in the water. Even though it measures down to 0.0ppm it has an accuracy of +- .05ppm. So anything between 0 and .05 is questionable. The DT according to ICP had .03ppm which is in the error range of the checker.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The high range Hanna copper tester is not suited for measuring the trace amounts of copper ICP indicates are in the water. Even though it measures down to 0.0ppm it has an accuracy of +- .05ppm. So anything between 0 and .05 is questionable. The DT according to ICP had .03ppm which is in the error range of the checker.
Good recall! Was that on page 82 of this thread? ;)

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so embarrassed to even be posting this right now, but I think we found the issue.

Hubby plumbed the system and thinking it wouldn’t corrode and we needed it in a pinch, he used a brass fitting in the return line.

Stupid, silly me. I never even thought about it. High zinc levels in the water from the dezincification of the brass, leaving the copper inside the fitting to continuously contaminate the water.

Unbelievable. And it has taken this long and my husband to point out the brass fitting for me to realize what was wrong.

Well guys, I think it’s probably safe to say the ICP results will show the same levels of metals in the water, so I am calling @Gulf Live Rock tomorrow to see if I can place an order to come in this week. I don’t even want to play the game of trying to remove the contaminants from the rock and sand, so I think a complete rip clean reboot and PVC replumbing is in order.

Ohhhh the embarrassment. I can’t even believe myself.
7BD5E2D4-4594-4AB7-8418-C10111450050.jpeg

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so embarrassed to even be posting this right now, but I think we found the issue.

Hubby plumbed the system and thinking it wouldn’t corrode and we needed it in a pinch, he used a brass fitting in the return line.

Stupid, silly me. I never even thought about it. High zinc levels in the water from the dezincification of the brass, leaving the copper inside the fitting to continuously contaminate the water.

Unbelievable. And it has taken this long and my husband to point out the brass fitting for me to realize what was wrong.

Well guys, I think it’s probably safe to say the ICP results will show the same levels of metals in the water, so I am calling @Gulf Live Rock tomorrow to see if I can place an order to come in this week. I don’t even want to play the game of trying to remove the contaminants from the rock and sand, so I think a complete rip clean reboot and PVC replumbing is in order.

Live and Learn, don't be embarrassed. My cat pooped in my tank and I proceeded to drink the water to "test" it. Like I said live and learn. I am glad you didn't leave the hobby.

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live and Learn, don't be embarrassed. My cat pooped in my tank and I proceeded to drink the water to "test" it. Like I said live and learn. I am glad you didn't leave the hobby.
I have never loved anyone so much as I love you for this comment right now, hahaha.

Thank you very much for the kind words!

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woot You found the culprit and can now remedy the situation! That's super. I am still taking credit for calling it on the brass though LOL
150% give you credit for that! It seriously wouldn’t have clicked with me unless you had brought it up, so seriously, thank you!!!

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what to say about this----except yuck!

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is undoubtedly it! What a relief to finally have found the solution to this big puzzle! Congrats to you and all who helped! Regarding getting rid of all your rock and sand, I'm not so sure you need to do that if cost is a concern. I would think that a thorough job of rinsing would get rid of all but minute traces of copper. Of course, for peace of mind, you're probably better off just starting fresh. Oh well, the silver lining in all this is that you can blame your husband for everything!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OUTSTANDING!!! I would probably shy away from standard hose clamps as well the have a tendency to rust after awhile. Consider ratchet clamps from BRS or other supply source.

PS glad you didnt quit and look forward to a new build thread.

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YAY!!! Hurray!!! Sooooo glad you were able to find the reason for the copper. You stuck with this a lot longer than I probably would have. :) Can't wait to see this build finished!

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most welcome! Glad you didn't throw in the towel and I can't wait to see where your tank goes from here!
Thank you, I do too!

I am just excited to rebuild with live rock and live sand. I am sure they’ll come with plenty of hitch hikers, but at least they’ll give me something more fun to do than constant water testing and troubleshooting!

I am going to go ahead and post a meeting build thread after I receive my ICP results hopefully tomorrow. I’ll link it here. I think that will finally give me some closure! Haha

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is undoubtedly it! What a relief to finally have found the solution to this big puzzle! Congrats to you and all who helped! Regarding getting rid of all your rock and sand, I'm not so sure you need to do that if cost is a concern. I would think that a thorough job of rinsing would get rid of all but minute traces of copper. Of course, for peace of mind, you're probably better off just starting fresh. Oh well, the silver lining in all this is that you can blame your husband for everything!
It’s so funny that you say that because even though I would never blame him, I think he feels guilty for all of my agonizing over this tank when he bought it for me to enjoy, so when I told him I was buying the new live rock and sand, he just kind of nodded and agreed, hahahahaha

Definitely going for the peace of mind at this point. I am so over all of the nonsense this dang little fitting has caused. We live about an hour to 2 hours from the Gulf, so sourcing the rock here should be pretty easy. We’ll see what they say when I call them, though.

You were also one of the people that helped me through this, so thank you as well!!

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OUTSTANDING!!! I would probably shy away from standard hose clamps as well the have a tendency to rust after awhile. Consider ratchet clamps from BRS or other supply source.

PS glad you didnt quit and look forward to a new build thread.

Thank you!! I will definitely look into these clamps as well, I am sure at this point, we will probably go 100% rigid PVC just to be safe, but if we keep any kind of flexible tubing, we will definitely use those clamps.

Thank you so much for all of your kind advice and support!!

I will link the new thread here! Haha taking ideas for new names for my nightmare tank, currently!

OP
OP
Apollo7235

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YAY!!! Hurray!!! Sooooo glad you were able to find the reason for the copper. You stuck with this a lot longer than I probably would have. :) Can't wait to see this build finished!
Thank you!! And thank you again for all of the kind words and support!

I couldn’t have made it through this without all of you talking me through it.

I sincerely appreciate all of you!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back