About your reef tank . . . . .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What made you decide to start a reef aquarium?

Was it a good decision?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted the display tank at my LFS.
I am happy with Reefing. Seeing growth and coral babies is satisfying. IMG_7446.jpeg

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was when I started seeing YouTubes of fish tanks that I wanted to get back into the hobby. As I was doing my researches on starting one up again, I came upon this forum and saw photos of reef. From there started researching on reefs and decided I'll give it a try. Was it a good decision? I'm not sure yet but I'll be honest, the cost of setting up the tank and equipment sometimes I hesitate about.

Liam's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was it a good decision?
My grandson who is 11 was showing an interest in having an aquarium, but he was not allowed to have one at his home. I have had fish tanks my entire life and got my first one when I was his age.
I haven't had a tank for the last ten years or so for the first time in my life and have been wanting to get back into the hobby. I had never ventured into the world of saltwater and thought that if we were going to do this, it should be something really special!
What a fascinating rabbit hole we have gone down! Absolutely a good decision, we have enjoyed this journey together, learning SO much along the way.
My grandson enjoys it very much, it's safe to say that I'm obsessed. lol I very much enjoy the R2R community, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't spend at least some time here.
We have three new corals arriving tomorrow!
My only regret is that I waited this long to venture into the world of saltwater.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parents had one when I was young (like 4 or so) and always enjoyed it, fast forward 20 or so years, I had friends and family that started to get tanks and it made me want to have one. Thus, I got a tank

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 you will probably remember Hoffers tropic life pets. I remember going there and seeing all the exotic animals. First I got into tortoises with a Russian and a Greek tortoise. Walking around the store seeing their dt I soon said one day and sure enough finally the wife said give it a try. Almost twenty years now with a tank. As far as good decisions go yes for my obsession bad for the wallet at times though.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081 you will probably remember Hoffers tropic life pets. I remember going there and seeing all the exotic animals. First I got into tortoises with a Russian and a Greek tortoise. Walking around the store seeing their dt I soon said one day and sure enough finally the wife said give it a try. Almost twenty years now with a tank. As far as good decisions go yes for my obsession bad for the wallet at times though.
I do. I too was a retailer and got together with Mike and his wife , Jan and Bruce from Aquatics Unlimited and Fish factory crew at trade shows and he had a mini Zoo adventure free for Families to enjoy. Was quite the store. Even the old one across the street was a great place to go to

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was it a good decision?
I have always like aquariums as I grew up with them because My mother had many fresh water. I wanted to do reef tank for many reasons, I like the challenge of it, I love all the color and personality of the inhabitants, I think possibilities are wide open, whereas not so much with freshwater.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. I too was a retailer and got together with Mike and his wife , Jan and Bruce from Aquatics Unlimited and Fish factory crew at trade shows and he had a mini Zoo adventure free for Families to enjoy. Was quite the store. Even the old one across the street was a great place to go to
20131019_110826_Original.jpeg

The day we brought home a tortoise lol

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an expert in water balancing. Started with pool and killing algae and balancing nutural bodies a touch more acidic than aquariums. Then a fresh tank was a good hobby. Just 1. Wanted to also try a salt tank after 5 years of my fresh tank being awesome. Now im learning all sorts of new and interesting stuff about building an actual thriving ecosystem full of an actual food web for efficent balancing. A saltwater ecosystem is amazingly complex and oh so different than neutral and fresh water.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an expert in water balancing. Started with pool and killing algae and balancing nutural bodies a touch more acidic than aquariums. Then a fresh tank was a good hobby. Just 1. Wanted to also try a salt tank after 5 years of my fresh tank being awesome. Now im learning all sorts of new and interesting stuff about building an actual thriving ecosystem full of an actual food web for efficent balancing. A saltwater ecosystem is amazingly complex and oh so different than neutral and fresh water.
You are sooo right!! The complexity of a reef system, and finding the right inhabitants to create that balance! It is a challenge, and a great sense of accomplishment once you are there. I find myself just staring at my tank constantly.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a marine biologist by training and used to keep some cool fish I would catch myself, like juvenile Cobia and tuna, deep-sea Bigeye, Tripletails, etc., but never a reef tank. Then had kids and a 20 year break. Then I saw this while I was on a dock one night and I bought a tank a couple of days later:

Last edited:

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underwater world in Mooloolaba. They have what must be a 2000 gallon reef and a couch to rest in front of it. When I sat there for maybe 15 minutes all the hustle and bustle went away and there was only me and the tank. After that I wanted one too. Only took me another 10 years to make my dream come true.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back