Abscess on orangeback fairy

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this C. aurantidorsalis in QT for 2 weeks. He was perfect on arrival and ate within an hour of arrival. Shortly after he developed a bulge near his tail that rapidly enlarged. He got a little lethargic but continued to eat, though not as vigorously. I started Spectrogram (he will get his fourth dose tomorrow) and he has improved dramatically. Swimming well and competing for food. The lesion appears to have ruptured (like an abscess) and has gotten much smaller.

Question is how long to treat? Till the wound is closed? Complete 10 days of antibiotics (on day 6).

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this C. aurantidorsalis in QT for 2 weeks. He was perfect on arrival and ate within an hour of arrival. Shortly after he developed a bulge near his tail that rapidly enlarged. He got a little lethargic but continued to eat, though not as vigorously. I started Spectrogram (he will get his fourth dose tomorrow) and he has improved dramatically. Swimming well and competing for food. The lesion appears to have ruptured (like an abscess) and has gotten much smaller.

Question is how long to treat? Till the wound is closed? Complete 10 days of antibiotics (on day 6).

I would finish the antibiotics.

@Big G?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree go for the full 10 days. Do you keep NFG on hand? Sometimes things like this will be "controlled" during copper. Due to immune system supression from copper it won't always cure it. So you may have to go with 10-14 days of NFG post copper.

OP
OP
saltyhog

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would finish the antibiotics.

@Big G?

Agree go for the full 10 days. Do you keep NFG on hand? Sometimes things like this will be "controlled" during copper. Due to immune system supression from copper it won't always cure it. So you may have to go with 10-14 days of NFG post copper.

That's my plan. I wasn't sure the wound would be completely closed by then and was considering going a little longer. I don't have NFG on hand as I wasn't planning on getting back in to QTing but my source of QT'd fish dried up :D. These guys actually completed TTM today and will go in to cycled QT's for observation and treatment with Focus/GC. They haven't had copper yet and hopefully won't unless they show signs of velvet in the next 6 weeks.

In people the open wound wouldn't be an issue and wouldn't require continued antibiotics past the 10 days. but it's not as easy to assess the wound in a fish. LOL I was thinking of going a little longer with that fish in a separate QT. I'm amazed at how well tolerated the Spectrogram is. Absolutely no appetite supression.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my plan. I wasn't sure the wound would be completely closed by then and was considering going a little longer. I don't have NFG on hand as I wasn't planning on getting back in to QTing but my source of QT'd fish dried up :D. These guys actually completed TTM today and will go in to cycled QT's for observation and treatment with Focus/GC. They haven't had copper yet and hopefully won't unless they show signs of velvet in the next 6 weeks.

In people the open wound wouldn't be an issue and wouldn't require continued antibiotics past the 10 days. but it's not as easy to assess the wound in a fish. LOL I was thinking of going a little longer with that fish in a separate QT. I'm amazed at how well tolerated the Spectrogram is. Absolutely no appetite supression.
I agree I have never seen any negative effects from spectrogram. It works well and can safely combined with copper, Sulfaplex, Metroplex.

Fish are definitely much slower at responding to ABX than humans for sure...

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't give the bacterial infection and inch. With a wound like that I'd stay the course for 10-14 days to make sure it's finished its work helping the wrasse's immune system to heal fully.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back