AC Adapter question

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 12V 200mA adapter that has a cord that’s about a foot or so shy of how long I need. Does anyone know if there are adapters around that can be found that have 8ft+ cords? I’ve been looking and haven’t had much luck, is my best bet just to splice in a longer cord? The only thing I would rather not do is buy an extension cord.

Here is what I’ve got. 393FAE1F-6835-4096-8CA4-1CF7C91EFD39.jpeg

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how you want to handle it. You can certainly go to amazon and find a new transformer that has a longer cord. Make sure it's 12v and *at least* 200ma.
Barring an extension cord (for the transformer to wall side), you can make an extention cord for the other side. I've done it multiple times. On Amazon, you can pick up barrel connectors with screw terminals Get a pack of them and attach some wire between two connectors (make sure to grab one female and one male). I've typically just used whatever small gauge wire I have laying around. I've used thermostat wire, doorbell wire, garage door opener wire etc. 12v/200ma is very little, you don't need special. I just use those types of wires because it they come in pairs (or 5+ for t-stat wire)
Here's what I've used, plenty of times, in the past:
amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y4YXRMC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and for wire
amazon.com/gp/product/B00QTCBZ4I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
or anything along the lines of this amazon.com/Southwire-64267101-White-Bell-Wire/dp/B075TSZRSL/

OP
OP
skyrne_isk

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how you want to handle it. You can certainly go to amazon and find a new transformer that has a longer cord. Make sure it's 12v and *at least* 200ma.
Barring an extension cord (for the transformer to wall side), you can make an extention cord for the other side. I've done it multiple times. On Amazon, you can pick up barrel connectors with screw terminals Get a pack of them and attach some wire between two connectors (make sure to grab one female and one male). I've typically just used whatever small gauge wire I have laying around. I've used thermostat wire, doorbell wire, garage door opener wire etc. 12v/200ma is very little, you don't need special. I just use those types of wires because it they come in pairs (or 5+ for t-stat wire)
Here's what I've used, plenty of times, in the past:
amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y4YXRMC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and for wire
amazon.com/gp/product/B00QTCBZ4I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
or anything along the lines of this amazon.com/Southwire-64267101-White-Bell-Wire/dp/B075TSZRSL/
Cool. So I wasn’t way off base. No worries on going with something like a 12V 1A adapter? I have found some of those, but it’s sometimes hard to see on the images the polarity on the listings on amazon.

I did also just find this:

I would rather have one continuous cord, to avoid water getting in anywhere. So mainly just find positive polarity and >200mA on a 12V, correct?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries on going with something like a 12V 1A adapter?
Nope. The volt rating is what it WILL supply. The amp rating is the maximum it will supply.

"I have found some of those, but it’s sometimes hard to see on the images the polarity on the listings on amazon."
The one you have has positive in the center (tip) and negative on the outside (ring). If you look at the little diagram right above the UL symbol, it shows you. Postive in the center/negative on the outside is the way the vast majority of them are set up.

"I would rather have one continuous cord, to avoid water getting in anywhere. So mainly just find positive polarity and"
If you use an extention cord, like the one you linked to, you don't need to worry about polarity, it'll stay the same from one end to the other. You need to be more concerned about the barrel size.

"I would rather have one continuous cord, to avoid water getting in anywhere"
You could always use some heat shrink around the connectors.

">200mA on a 12V"
Yup.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back