AC pumps and electronic valves - anyone running the combo?

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to build some ability to ramp the flow in the closed loops I am planning up and down. Obviously not an issue with DC pumps but given the size of the tank I am looking at AC pumps seem more economical up front.

I was thinking about using some type of electronic valve to control the output to vary the flow but I am not even sure an electronic valve can partially open/close or if they will how to program/control them. Tried doing some searches but mostly finding 1/4" RODI info and I am looking at 1.5" valves. Found a few online that are rated for acid and saltwater but not sure if they will work the way I would want to use them.

Thanks in advance! :)

OP
OP
BackToTheReef

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean Motion has models that switchs the flow to different outputs

I've seen those in the past but was hoping to be able to ramp up from say 20% to 100% rather than 0% or 100%. Almost like opposing power heads ramping up and down to roll the flow through the tank. Given the size of the tank and thickness of the walls just about every powerhead is out.

OP
OP
BackToTheReef

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen those in the past but was hoping to be able to ramp up from say 20% to 100% rather than 0% or 100%. Almost like opposing power heads ramping up and down to roll the flow through the tank. Given the size of the tank and thickness of the walls just about every powerhead is out.

Hmmm, just looked at these again and might work for one application but not the other. (opposing ends of the tank might work as it does appear they ramp but wouldn't work in the closed loops I want to run through the aquascape.

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about this type of thing? https://www.amazon.com/VFD-Drive/s?k=VFD+Drive

Yes, actually all three you posted are similar options. I have used VFDs in liquid processing with a little extra automation and flow sensors to create a feedback loop. So not only would you be able to set the flow you want at that time, but it would also take into account the fact that maybe something got plugged, etc and ramp up or down to maintain the flow. A commercial VFD would require some integration, the other options you found are basically VFDs all bundled up with a little bit of automation built in already.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back