Acan color change

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the color change, it seems healthy. Opens fully, good feeding response. It took about a week to change from red to green. Last pic is current color under moonlights. I don't really mind the change unless it is a health concern. I do 64 oz water change every other day. It is in a 32 gallon biocube. Purchasing premixed Red Sea Coral Pro water from LFS. It is on a small rock on the sand band, moderate flow. I target feed it reefroids and mysis. Had it for about 3 months. All other inhabitants are doing well except I have been slowly loosing a hollywood stunner. It has been loosing tissue. Seems to have stabilized at about 1/10th of itself left.

Parameters are:
Temp 79
Specific Gravity 1.026
pH 8
dKH 9
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 0
Calcium 400

What happened to make the Acan change color? Is it bad?
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it went from fancy LFS lights to mediocre Biocube LEDs. That makes sense. Thanks for the info!

That’s interesting though. The biocube lighting is pretty weak which fits an acans lighting requirements better than blasting with LEDs. That leads me to think it’s not your lighting.

I wonder if your water has high levels of iron which helps green coloring in corals. I don’t know if I have seen as drastic a color change as yours. What I can say is that I have seen first hand green/purple acans gain red/orange. That’s a pretty interesting thought. Below is my example.

F8CE5C36-E9F3-4606-AF93-C164081AF3E5.jpeg

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the way that acan looked when I bought it. I always thought it was s water quality issue that made the color change because it’s change coincided with me getting my parameters under control.

DDC3EDDD-E3C5-4621-A62F-A25E9DABC0AD.jpeg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans changing color is usually due to lighting spectrum/intensity change. It's pretty common, I wouldn't worry. The coral looks healthy.

You are correct. Any hard coral will change color due to a lights spectrum and intensity. There's some other things that can make a coral shift color as well, but usually is from pale to darker or darker to pale.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what about moving this acan up to the top of my tank? I have a lot of empty space up there. I am guessing it would not be too much light due to the lack of intensity of the stock biocube LEDs.

I don't really care about changing the color back, but if it would occupy a previous empty space, that would be good. Should I move it?

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be fine to slowly move it up. I’ve got a colony up high under a G4 radion for over a year now and it’s been fine.

MariahP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP - did you ever figure this out? I had the exact same thing happen and I’m using a Biocube as well. Bought them blue and red and are now like green and gold.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP - did you ever figure this out? I had the exact same thing happen and I’m using a Biocube as well. Bought them blue and red and are now like green and gold.
its just what acans do with different lights.
We bought some that were crayola yellow in someone else tank and within 2 days in our tank they were red.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not, and then I had a tank glass failure 5 months later... Pretty sure that Acan croaked first though. But I am back. Check out my Tank Thread.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back