Acan Lovers - What Lights Are You Using?

What type of lighting are you running?

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like this thread.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad everyone's enjoying and participating. When I started this I never expected 78 replies and the amount of discussion we've seen so far! Keep it up guys!

I think there's a lot of good information here and hopefully the discussion continues. Next poll/thread will be regarding acan feeding! I'm really curious about that as well given the number of foods on the market these days.

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just hope my LEDs don't affect my new acans as much as they did my original ones. I have them dimmed down more for a longer acclimating.

Part of me is salty...,

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ATI Powermodule. It's really a 6x24, but at the moment I'm using only 4 of the bulbs.

The 4 inner slots or are you staggering the bulbs? I use a Tek fixture with same bulb combo over my 75 but I also use 2 ATI true actinics for 2hrs before and after daylights are on/off.

Last edited:

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 4 inner slots or are you staggering the bulbs? I use a Tek fixture with same bulb combo over my 75 but I also use 2 ATI true actinics for 2hrs before and after daylights are on/off.

It's actually the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th bulbs.

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have most of my acans under T5s and the colors hold up very well. The acans under my SOL blues just turned orange within days of being in there. The acans are growing and look awesome, just very orange. I will be setting up some mazzarras soon so I am hoping with those I can play around a bit and see what happens.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have most of my acans under T5s and the colors hold up very well. The acans under my SOL blues just turned orange within days of being in there. The acans are growing and look awesome, just very orange. I will be setting up some mazzarras soon so I am hoping with those I can play around a bit and see what happens.

I had the same issues with the SOL Blues, no matter how low I had them turned down... What bulbs are you running in your T5's?

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you properly acclimate acans to LEDs?

Part of me is salty...,

If your LEDs are not dimmable get some of the material used when replacing a screen door/window from like Lowes/Home Depot etc and cut it so you have layers that you can place over your tank, after a week or two ( I suggest 2 weeks) remove a single layer and continue this pattern. I have had to use 3 layers before but that was when I jumped from 250 MH to 400 watt with new reflectors. it may not need to be the entire tank top. All my tanks with fish have the DIY clear nylon mesh top, I would cut pieces in diffrentsizes and layer them.

I run all LED know but the principle is the same-

You can also reduce the photo period then slowly increase that as well

HTH

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue plus
Coral plus
Kz purple
Coral plus
Blue plus

Are those bulbs all in the 450nm range, I mean are there any that are rated like a 6500K-14K or higher?

It seems a lot of configs I see with T5 are mostly blue-

It may be worth doing an experiment of like a 5:1 ratio of Royal Blue to White LEDs (After the GO Justin-LOL)

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those bulbs all in the 450nm range, I mean are there any that are rated like a 6500K-14K or higher?

It seems a lot of configs I see with T5 are mostly blue-

It may be worth doing an experiment of like a 5:1 ratio of Royal Blue to White LEDs (After the GO Justin-LOL)

Ha! Once those pieces are big enough to cut I'm definitely going to do a little experimenting with LED vs T5.

OP
OP
thewackyreefer

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, even though so many of you are running LED's after reading through this thread and many others, talking to hobbyists and retailers I've decided to switch to T5's over the display tank and ditch the Radion's. I will say I have loved the Radion's, they're just too powerful for what I need and with 30+ acans coming soon from a growout I don't want to take any chance of them losing their colors.

MattinIdaho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running an 8 bulb T5 setup. All ATI bulbs front to back

Blue Plus
Blue Plus
Purple Plus
Blue Plus
Coral Plus
Blue Plus
Aqua Blue
Blue Plus

People always comment on my colors and how full and fast my acans grow.

Back