Acceptable TDS

Marc West

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tap water TDS in Suwanee Ga is 38, post 5 stages is 2 and post DI is 0.

Marius1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all reefers i have a ro unit I bought second hand I change everything except di resin my first 25l canister come 007ppm second one 34
can anyone advise me please

Marius1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all reefers I bought a ro di system I change everything except di resin my first 25l came up 007ppm but second came 035ppm why?

Keith Tansor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Question. Does anyone “ flush out” their carbon filters BEFORE the RO membrane when installing new ones? I always wondered if any carbon dust would come out of the new carbon blocks ( I have 2 inline, one 5 micron, and then one 1 micron) and clog up the membrane a bit. I installed all new filters today, and removed the line after the carbon filters, but before the membrane and there was quite a bit of black carbon sediment after flushing out about a gallon. So I’m wondering if this would prematurely effect the RO membrane. Any thoughts ?

immaman2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that city water? if so that is very very good. you sure there is not some sort of prefilter inline with your water supply? i dont think i have ever seen tap water that low any any country reports i have looks at. average is 140-400 and most are in the middle to higher end of that scale

with that said yes i would still have a ro/di unit to bring that down to 0. it will also remove othe things that citys put in tap water
My tap is 107 TDS average so far.

TwinTurboSnail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this may be a little OT btu if my tap water tests under 10 TDS is it even worth it to look into gettign RO/DI
Yeah, mine is low too, like 5-10 when it comes in to my ro/do filter and 0 when it comes out lol. When I flush the membrane for tds creep, is when I see the highest numbers. Usually in the 70ish range and then it drops back down after a minute.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this may be a little OT btu if my tap water tests under 10 TDS is it even worth it to look into gettign RO/DI

It depends. Here in Central FL my Nitrate from the tap is 1 ppm and my phosphate is .1 ppm. My tap water TDS is about 140.

The problem is that you don’t know what the TDS is. If it is stuff like iron, calcium and chloride, you are fine.

Remember there are some really, really nasty inorganic ions in some tap water. Copper is very common (copper pipes) and if you have that in your water, it could kill your invertebrates. Also, lead is pretty common as is arsenic. These are not good.

Then there are more complex chemicals and there are really nasty ones: herbicides, insecticides, drugs, and who knows what.

If you have a TDS of 10, you can get a basic RODI unit and it should get rid of that 10 TDS so you have 0 TDS and then there are no worries.

PicassoDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm on a well with very hard water, and after my water softener, my TDS is 1300 ppm. Because of the nature of the softener doing ion exchange with NaCl, I assume most of that 1300 ppm is sodium.
I run an RO system that takes it down typically to 10-12 ppm. What I'm wondering is if I should add DI to the system. Maybe it's worth a shot to see if it reduces algae growth (which doesn't seem too bad). The system is a few years old and is very stable now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back