Acclimation drip box

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little DIY drip acclimation box. Similiar to the reef gently but for fraction of the cost. Borrowed my reef gently to a friend and never got it back so when i got a fish today had to come up with a quick plan. Works perfect. Founds all parts in my junk draw. Very simple design. Drilled a hole in the bottom of that fish holder and screwed in one of those john guest with thread on one side and push in on the other. Drilled hole a bit smaller and it screws in nice and tight. Put a valve on that end and connected it into top of bottle i had laying around. This is for waste water. Top i just had a suction cup and valve on inside of fish holder and hung tube over tank and hooked it to some plsstic float holder i had. Start siphon on top and set 2-3 drops per second and open drain on bottom to equal top 2-3 drops per second and there you go let fish or inverts acclimate for an hour. All original water will drain out as new water is added!
I will def fine tune this but for gathering on the fly i think i did a good job
IMG_8445.jpg

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I've been wanting to do something very similar and like the JohnGuest connector idea. I think if you get the tube from tank to acclimation box full of water and both ends in the water, then the siphon from your drain line will pull in the new tank water. No need to match up the two - it just becomes a tiny HOB overflow.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little DIY drip acclimation box. Similiar to the reef gently but for fraction of the cost. Borrowed my reef gently to a friend and never got it back so when i got a fish today had to come up with a quick plan. Works perfect. Founds all parts in my junk draw. Very simple design. Drilled a hole in the bottom of that fish holder and screwed in one of those john guest with thread on one side and push in on the other. Drilled hole a bit smaller and it screws in nice and tight. Put a valve on that end and connected it into top of bottle i had laying around. This is for waste water. Top i just had a suction cup and valve on inside of fish holder and hung tube over tank and hooked it to some plsstic float holder i had. Start siphon on top and set 2-3 drops per second and open drain on bottom to equal top 2-3 drops per second and there you go let fish or inverts acclimate for an hour. All original water will drain out as new water is added!
I will def fine tune this but for gathering on the fly i think i did a good job
IMG_8445.jpg
I like it one question do you just periodically drain a little water or does it slowly drip out also

OP
OP
Branespikin

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have air valve on top which i adjust to drip like 3-4 drips per second and i adjust the bottom one to drip at same pace. So how much goes in that much comes out. I actually stuck an air valve on bottom the other day i used it for better control. I draw a line at beginning water level with marker and check after 5 -10 min see if its at same spot to check if input and output is equal

Back