Accurate NO3 Test with Hanna ULR P Checker

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I just purchased a Hanna phosphate checker. But mine isn't the Ultra low version, just the regular. Will using the Red Sea nitrate reagent work with this checker for checking nitrate? Or is the Ultra low version required?

Very good question

If you are talking about the HI-713 the light diode (the source) is the same wavelength (525nm) as the HI-764...I don't know about the detectors capabilities (LR vs ULR) ....I know that the HI-736 ULR Phosphorous works as described in my other post ...but the detector was limited in it's range which is why I continued to explore other options....You would need to set up a set of experiments to see if it will work....If you are interested in the procedure I can share it with you...hope this helps

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for consistency (albeit may not matter much)- why not make your C1 the same composition as the test vial? If you are testing 1/10th sea water make your C1 vial the same?

Another good question...anything that increases the precision and accuracy I am in favor of...I can quickly checkout the effect..thanks for your help and ideas and questions

BradW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rick. I have the HI-713 so I would be interested in the details of your test procedure.

BradW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rick. I have the HI-713 so I would be interested in the details of your test procedure.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another good question...anything that increases the precision and accuracy I am in favor of...I can quickly checkout the effect..thanks for your help and ideas and questions

Just thinking that there are items in our water column that could affect the coloring of the baseline (meds, food, general turbidity,etc) that would make the slight changes possibly relevant especially when we are testing such small quantities of the test waters. I am doing this on the Nitrite tester method.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have attached an draft of my test protocol development process...It is by no means complete in all of the details of the process, but it should give you a clear idea of how to go about developing a test protocol for the HI-713 if it is suitable for this use...Step 1 Should tell you this....hope this helps feel free to ask any questions you like and I will help if I can

rick

Attachments

• TEST DEVELOPMENT PROTOCOL.pdf
    431.8 KB · Views: 305

yap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for this! This technique has saved me some headache.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for this! This technique has saved me some headache.
You are totally welcome. My pleasure. Let me know how it's working for you.

Gogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this method done using Hanna Phosphorus or Phosphate checker?

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I did the method from the first post with HI-736 and 1/10 dilution. But the result came out of range for the checker. My other test kits show value of around 2ppm. Did I understand correctly that the method range should cover that?

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The original directions are that a 1/10 diluted sample ought to be between 0 and 1.6 ppm, so It works if your original water was between 0 and 16ppm NO3.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea low range nitrate tests at “0”. Am I right to assume that I can use the Hanna ULR phosphorus test, undiluted, to get an accurate read?

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Sea low range nitrate tests at “0”. Am I right to assume that I can use the Hanna ULR phosphorus test, undiluted, to get an accurate read?
maybe not. If the eye looking very carefully can detect no pink color at all, then the ULR P meter won't read it either <0.1ppm. (NO3 is frequently just zero. no matter how close you look.)
If however there is any barely eye-detectable color to the sample, the checker will give you a number and let you quantify it.

burningbaal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably, but you've extrapolated past the curve, so it should get a new standard series, which is a lot of work. It's very normal for lab grade optics to detect things our eye can't see, but I can't say the grade of these optics, nor how much the tank water might interfere.
First, I'd say to make up brand new saltwater, run the test (with the checker) and also check some tank water. If they give different readings (consistently), you've probably got a good chance.
I'd then try spiking some potassium nitrate (weight to weight) into the new saltwater to make your curve.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. In fact the checker used in this thread hi736 and the hi774 are going to differ mainly just in the units they display, hi736 = ppb Phosphorus, hi774 = ppm Phosphate.
So to convert P ppb and PO4 ppm:
(Phosphorus ppb) * 3.066 / 1000 = (Phosphate ppm)

so to approximately convert between the checkers
[hi774 reading] * 1000 / 3.066 = [hi736 reading]
then you can use the results of this thread.

Overall, @Rick Mathew thread here - using more common NO3 Pro test kit and a different meter with a higher range gives more reliable result over a more applicable nitrate range. It's what I currently use.

purp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably, but you've extrapolated past the curve, so it should get a new standard series, which is a lot of work. It's very normal for lab grade optics to detect things our eye can't see, but I can't say the grade of these optics, nor how much the tank water might interfere.
First, I'd say to make up brand new saltwater, run the test (with the checker) and also check some tank water. If they give different readings (consistently), you've probably got a good chance.
I'd then try spiking some potassium nitrate (weight to weight) into the new saltwater to make your curve.
When you say weight to weight, do you mean weight of fluid vs weight of kno3 added?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say weight to weight, do you mean weight of fluid vs weight of kno3 added?

I presume that is what is intended, with the further assumption that folks may be able to measure liquid mass (weight) more accurately than liquid volume.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back