acdf surgery question if someone has had it done

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having issues with swallowing food and water any advice would be helpful. I know it is weird to ask here but figured it was worth a shot. I have not heard back from my surgeon yet and would like to hear from someone that has gone through it.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that surgery 5+ years ago. Had the same issue with throat that lasted around a week after surgery. Have to admit, I felt horrible for the first 7-10 days, it was the worst part of having the surgery. My doctor didn’t tell me about this either; I’m guessing it’s because they have to move your throat some to access the disk/vertebrae site.
I was on a number of drugs and thought they gave me something to help with it but I can’t remember off hand. I’ll see if I can jog my memory, probably still have the paperwork somewhere.
I slept in a recliner for a number of days which seemed to help with swelling, but swallowing food and water was a challenge. Maybe stick to a liquid diet for food for awhile. I remember trying to eat a salad, that was a mistake because of the lettuce.
How long ago did you have surgery? Definitely check with your doctor.
Hang in there!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dmmz

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had that surgery 5+ years ago. Had the same issue with throat that lasted around a week after surgery. Have to admit, I felt horrible for the first 7-10 days, it was the worst part of having the surgery. My doctor didn’t tell me about this either; I’m guessing it’s because they have to move your throat some to access the disk/vertebrae site.
I was on a number of drugs and thought they gave me something to help with it but I can’t remember off hand. I’ll see if I can jog my memory, probably still have the paperwork somewhere.
I slept in a recliner for a number of days which seemed to help with swelling, but swallowing food and water was a challenge. Maybe stick to a liquid diet for food for awhile. I remember trying to eat a salad, that was a mistake because of the lettuce.
How long ago did you have surgery? Definitely check with your doctor.
Hang in there!
thanks for the response I had the surgery on Friday so hopefully only a few more days and it will improve. The pain down the arms and into the hands are gone which is great just wasn't expecting this other issue but can live with it for a short time and I am sleeping in a recliner. Either way it was well worth it and hope you have not had any issue with yours since the surgery.

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear your surgery took care of your issues. I didn’t know about the post-surgery throat problem either, wish they would have gave me a heads up.
I haven’t had any problems since my surgery. Didn’t have pain like you did, mostly numbness in my hands, and arms at times. Had two disks pressing into spinal cord, there was a big concern that a fall or accident of some type could cause a major issue such as paralysis, or worse.
Hopefully you’ll notice a difference with throat soon.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back