Achilles tang eyes

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this Achilles tang for 6 weeks in a 75 g qt, and he went thru two weeks of copper around 2-2.5ppm (checked by Hanna), then I had to switch to prazipro due to some fishes dying of flukes. I just finished three rounds of prazipro 8 days apart. When I started the third round of prazipro, I noticed something wrong with the Achilles tangs eyes. I’m attaching a video and photos (I circled what I’m concern about). I have an air stone on, so in the photos, you will see a lot of bubbles. I can confirm he has no ich, and the video shows that too. Anyways, on his left eye, right in the center there is a white dot, and then something white right below that dot. On his right eye, there is something at 6 o’clock position of the eye. What could they be? How do I treat that? I was hoping the third dose of prazi would take care of those lesions but didn’t. I’m about to start copper for 30 days but wanted to see if I should start any antibiotics before that to take care of the eye issue.

Salt is 1.025
Nitrate is 25ppm ( the algae is helping with lowering nitrate)
Temp 78
Ammonia is zero
Hang on filter.
No UV light. No protein skimmer. IMG_5648.jpeg IMG_5645.jpeg IMG_5643.jpeg IMG_5641.jpeg IMG_5640.jpeg IMG_5638.jpeg IMG_5662.jpeg IMG_5661.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5653.mov
    53.6 MB
Last edited:

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this Achilles tang for 6 weeks in a 75 g qt, and he went thru two weeks of copper around 2-2.5ppm (checked by Hanna), then I had to switch to prazipro due to some fishes dying of flukes. I just finished three rounds of prazipro 8 days apart. When I started the third round of prazipro, I noticed something wrong with the Achilles tangs eyes. I’m attaching a video and photos. I have an air stone on, so in the photos, you will see a lot of bubbles. I can confirm he has no ich, and the video shows that too. Anyways, on his left eye, right in the center there is a white dot, and then something white right below that dot. On his right eye, there is something at 6 o’clock position of the eye. What could they be? How do I treat that? I was hoping the third dose of prazi would take care of those lesions but didn’t. I’m about to start copper for 30 days but wanted to see if I should start any antibiotics before that to take care of the eye issue.

Salt is 1.025
Temp 78
Ammonia is zero
Hang on filter.
No UV light. No protein skimmer. IMG_5648.jpeg IMG_5645.jpeg IMG_5643.jpeg IMG_5641.jpeg IMG_5640.jpeg IMG_5638.jpeg
Can’t really tell but probably a fluke. Also, your Achilles may be a hybrid

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post some white light photos?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very difficult to see in the photos and video what you are seeing in person. I would proceed with the 30 day copper QT, but closely observe the tang in the coming days to confirm nothing serious is happening with the eyes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve had this Achilles tang for 6 weeks in a 75 g qt, and he went thru two weeks of copper around 2-2.5ppm (checked by Hanna), then I had to switch to prazipro due to some fishes dying of flukes. I just finished three rounds of prazipro 8 days apart. When I started the third round of prazipro, I noticed something wrong with the Achilles tangs eyes. I’m attaching a video and photos (I circled what I’m concern about). I have an air stone on, so in the photos, you will see a lot of bubbles. I can confirm he has no ich, and the video shows that too. Anyways, on his left eye, right in the center there is a white dot, and then something white right below that dot. On his right eye, there is something at 6 o’clock position of the eye. What could they be? How do I treat that? I was hoping the third dose of prazi would take care of those lesions but didn’t. I’m about to start copper for 30 days but wanted to see if I should start any antibiotics before that to take care of the eye issue.

Salt is 1.025
Temp 78
Ammonia is zero
Hang on filter.
No UV light. No protein skimmer. IMG_5648.jpeg IMG_5645.jpeg IMG_5643.jpeg IMG_5641.jpeg IMG_5640.jpeg IMG_5638.jpeg IMG_5662.jpeg IMG_5661.jpeg
This fish has ich which is part of the issue and will need immediate treatment and placed in a separate quarantine tank. These fish are susceptible to ich and mainly velvet as I went through two rounds myself but been 4 years since. Treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off and with occupants exposed, they too should go into quarantine
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in a 75 g quarantine tank already. Is it possible to have Ich on the eyes only for a week? I first noticed them a week ago right before the third prazipro. His body has no white dots. What you see in some pics are air bubbles. Im about to start 30 days of copper. I just wanted to make sure I don’t need to repeat 4th prazi or any antibiotics before starting copper.

OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what I’m seeing at 6 o’clock position of the eyes are normal anatomy. So my only concern right now is the single white dot in the middle of his left eye more on the surface.

OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic Prazipro instructions say their instructions produce a concentration of 2.5 mg/L. Ive used this concentration 3 times so far. so, now I'm thinking the tang has flukes. I noticed a foxface in the same qt has a clody eye too... Anyways, in one of his threads, @Jay Hemdal , mentioned he recommends praziquantel treatment at 4 ppm. So, should I up the dose of Prazipro to 4ppm ? and I guess 3 more times again?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
#fishmedic Prazipro instructions say their instructions produce a concentration of 2.5 mg/L. Ive used this concentration 3 times so far. so, now I'm thinking the tang has flukes. I noticed a foxface in the same qt has a clody eye too... Anyways, in one of his threads, @Jay Hemdal , mentioned he recommends praziquantel treatment at 4 ppm. So, should I up the dose of Prazipro to 4ppm ? and I guess 3 more times again?
Flukes are often not seen with the naked eye and size of dots suggest ich which will increase every 24 hours on the fish

OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang only has had a single dot on his left eye for about a week. The size and the location have remained about the same.

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see ANY little white cysts on the body or just the white spot on the eye? The eye is functional and not ruptured from injury?

If this fish has crypto you should be able to tell very easy. Achilles are the first fish to show signs if it’s present. The photos are not very good because I see white bubbles or something all over the fish yet you say it’s only one spot on the eye.

How’s the fishes behavior? Any rubbing? Is it eating? You could freshwater dip if it’s only a spot on the eye and you’ve done all else.

OP
OP
nemotang2019

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have an air stone on, so you see tons of bubbles in the photos. I uploaded a video too. There is no ich at all on his body and tail. He had a lot of ich but copper took care of that in the past. So I’m only concerned about a white dot on his eye right now. One white dot that has not moved over a week. Eye seems functional. He’s not scratching or rubbing like he used to before Prazipro. He’s eating and swimming well.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that you have already followed the Prazi protocol, but that you only ran a two-week copper treatment, I believe you are at a greater risk for the return of ich. I would proceed with the 30-day copper protocol and continue to observe the eye. If degradation of the eye occurs, you may need to revisit the prazi treatment, however, I think the fluke diagnosis at this point is doubtful.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No - you cannot dose Prazipro at 4ppm, the solvent they use should not be used at that high of a dose. The 4 ppm prazi dose I mentioned was pure prazi powder, and used at that higher dose due to the need to overdose in tanks that have been dosed with prazi multiple times. In those cases, a bacteria grows that eats the prazi faster than it takes to work, so you need to dose higher.

Regarding your tangs eyes. Yes, they could be flukes, however there is a LOT of confusion over fish eye flukes. The common "eye fluke" Neobendenia, actually lives all over the fish, but it just shows up as cloudy eyes. In this case, the cloudiness is right on the surface of the eye. The rarer eye fluke is internal to the eye. It is caused by a digenean trematode. The genus Diplostomulum parasitizes the eye of marine fish. The parasites can remain
in the eye for a long time often resulting in cataracts and blindness in the fish. Prazi won't work on these - the way prazi works is that it doesn't kill flukes, it just makes the fluke release its hold on the fish for a time, and the fluke drops off and then cannot reattach and it dies. With these internal flukes, they are stunned by the prazi, but they don't drop off because they are encased by the eye, not on its surface.

Digenean flukes won't spread to other fish though; they have a complicated life cycle where they go from a snail, to a fish, to a bird and then back to a snail.

Back