Achilles

mafiareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Achilles in qt with a chevron in a 29 tall. They would fight so I put a divider up. Tank was dosed with cuprion. Both tangs were doing fine both are eating. They have have been in there for a week and a half I woke up this morning and the Achilles was dead. He was small about 2.5”. Luckily I got him from live aquaria and got a refund. Anybody have recommendations for Achilles qt?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Juvenile Achilles are very difficult. They seem to die "without reason" more than adults, which are difficult in their own right.

My Chevron and my Achilles bicker, interestingly. Nothing serious. I am sorry for your loss, I too am curious what copper level you were running with the ionic copper, and what you used to check the levels.

OP
OP
M

mafiareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuprion recommends a drop per gallon which brings it to .20 and mine was .18. So you recommend copper power for the tangs?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size Achilles do you recommend?

I know with Tangs the small ones can be tough then make it an Achilles and game on. I probably wouldn’t try smaller than 4” they do have a reputation of just dying or they will just stop eating either way it’s a tough fish.

OP
OP
M

mafiareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im leaving my tank fallow and wanted to qt the Achilles in that time frame. You think he will be fine in a 30 Breeder with a chevron for the 72 days?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im leaving my tank fallow and wanted to qt the Achilles in that time frame. You think he will be fine in a 30 Breeder with a chevron for the 72 days?

That’s pretty tight quarters for two tangs for that long. I’m assuming you’d need to divide that. Tank in case of quarreling. A bigger tank. Would be better but if you must do it time it so you purchase the Achilles and finish QT at the same time your DT is ready.

OP
OP
M

mafiareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a extra 10gal. Do you think I will be better off putting the chevron in a 10gal and put the Achilles in 30 by himself?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a extra 10gal. Do you think I will be better off putting the chevron in a 10gal and put the Achilles in 30 by himself?

How big is the Chevron? What size tank is your DT that is fallow?

OP
OP
M

mafiareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chevron is a juvi he’s 2-2.5. I have sca 150. 5x24x24 with 75 gal sump

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chevron is a juvi he’s 2-2.5. I have sca 150. 5x24x24 with 75 gal sump

Even though the Chevron is small I think the 10 would be too small and honestly I’m not sure I’d put an Achilles and a Chevron in a 30 for 76 days. I think you’d be best to purchase the Achilles 45 days or so from your DT being ready so they aren’t cramped for an extra month.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though the Chevron is small I think the 10 would be too small and honestly I’m not sure I’d put an Achilles and a Chevron in a 30 for 76 days. I think you’d be best to purchase the Achilles 45 days or so from your DT being ready so they aren’t cramped for an extra month.
I agree with this. FWIW, I don't QT tangs in less than a 40b, most acanthurus tangs I would use a 55 at minimum. They need quite a bit of swimming room.

OP
OP
M

mafiareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I pull all my fish I was going to put them in a 29 tall that I have. Miatus blenny, Moyer leopard, 2 female flames, earmuff, and sunburst anthius. I know it’s going to be tight but what do you think???

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I pull all my fish I was going to put them in a 29 tall that I have. Miatus blenny, Moyer leopard, 2 female flames, earmuff, and sunburst anthius. I know it’s going to be tight but what do you think???
That should work for that list. You will just want to make sure you have a working established biofilter so ammonia isn't a problem.

OP
OP
M

mafiareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work for that list. You will just want to make sure you have a working established biofilter so ammonia isn't a problem.

I have a sponge filter that’s been sitting in my dt that I’m going to throw in there.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sponge filter that’s been sitting in my dt that I’m going to throw in there.

That’s good, but I would get a bottle of biospira just in case. You’ll have a huge bio load for that tank and get ready for W/C’s!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 26.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back