Acropora ID Request

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have an acro in my aquarium that I'm curious about. My LFS just called it a "green fuzzy acro" and gave me a pretty good deal, in terms of SPS coral, for it since it had broken off a colony.

Here is a picture of it:
20170913_173316.jpg

The reason I'm curious about it is because the coralites are very small, almost flush with skeleton. I haven't seen any other Acros that have had this structure. It has bright green polyps with a dark purplish base color. It really stands out compared to my bright green colony in the background. It also loves to eat some reef roids and marine snow, sometimes having enough polyp extension to put some of my Nehpthea frags to shame haha

If you know the name or species of this Acro, let me know! My Marine Biology majoring girlfriend will also be very happy since she keeps bugging me about finding more information on it!

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell until you get a little more growth. I'm going with millepora for now
Thanks for the input. I have a millepora that is about the same size but definitely has a different structure.

Here's the mille:
IMG_20170820_154750_443[1].jpg

The coral in question almost reminds me of a fat birdsnest with huge polyps that are spaced out. I know it's an Acropora species, but what kind is what's bugging me haha

Guess I'll just have to wait for it to grow out more or for my Girlfriend to get her Phd or something!

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess for now it's just acropora sp. Lol
That's what I call it right now haha, I pronounce it "Ah-crow-por-uh Spuh" and it irritates my girlfriend who has to call it "Ah-crop-ora" in her classes. :D

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back