Acrylic Fabrication Q & A

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give me a little time and I'll post a photo.

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI there! I was wondering if it is to get cell cast acrylic at wholesale price or just cheaper than tap plastics if you have ever heard of them? where do you guys buy your acrylic?

OP
OP
Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TAP plastics is an expensive source IMO. Plus I don't think you can specify the brand, they just give you what they have (could be wrong)

Try finding any of these companies as close to you as possible:

SABIC Polymershapes
Laird Plastics
Regal Plastics
Port Plastics

They will typically only sell you full sheets but may cut them for a nominal charge

Ask for Arkema brand Plexiglas-G or their generic equivalent called PMACS. Those 2 are the only things I would use, Cyro Acrylite used to be ok but not reliable anymore. If it's for a sump or misc project you can use a good extruded also, and there are several that you can choose from there - Plexiglas-MC, Acrylite-FF, maybe a few others. Extruded will be cheaper but it's more flexible / prone to warping so up the thickness one size for good measure.

Scotty LaBeouf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TAP plastics is an expensive source IMO. Plus I don't think you can specify the brand, they just give you what they have (could be wrong)

Try finding any of these companies as close to you as possible:

SABIC Polymershapes
Laird Plastics
Regal Plastics
Port Plastics

They will typically only sell you full sheets but may cut them for a nominal charge

Ask for Arkema brand Plexiglas-G or their generic equivalent called PMACS. Those 2 are the only things I would use, Cyro Acrylite used to be ok but not reliable anymore. If it's for a sump or misc project you can use a good extruded also, and there are several that you can choose from there - Plexiglas-MC, Acrylite-FF, maybe a few others. Extruded will be cheaper but it's more flexible / prone to warping so up the thickness one size for good measure.
Your the man! thank you so much! I feel ive been ripped off by tap plastics for so long for various reasons, but I found a Regal and Port plastic location near me so I'm going to check them out. I was wondering what your thought is on starting a line of custom tanks and sumps and trying to make a business of it someday(planning on majoring in business)? I want to focus my my market mostly on nano tanks with sumps, because most of the small stuff you see are the AIO systems. So I was gonna try and sell a couple on craigslist(as long as I get the pins method down) and see what feedback I get from that, then try and grow from there. Thanks for your help and this thread!!

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like laird. The one in Houston always has arkema (plexiglass brand) in stock all the way to 3/4" in clear and 3/8" in black and white

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMAG0857_zpslzqcjyub.jpg

@cromag08
Could ya show close up shot of them encased mags?

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, sanding edges still sucks. lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back