Acrylic Leak?

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a DIY acryclic fuge a month back. Somehow when glueing everything together in the stand something shifted. I can not see a hole, feel a hole or find the source of the leak with a small dental tool. But when I went to fill it or check for leaks with about a liter of water, some began to leak out of the corner. I didn't know what else to do other than drip some more of the glue there, but that didn't work.
What should I do, any ideas would be great thanks.

johnr2604

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally let it dry out then run a bead of weld-on 16 or equivalent on the inside of all the seams then let it dry for 24 hrs

OP
OP
ReeferRob

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes leaking from the seam at the corner from how the water runs.

Ive used the weldon not sure the number but that is what Ive been using with syringe.

ServantSoldier

pro am
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how well the edges were prepared will determine what solvent will be best. If they weren't prepared well, weldon 3 or 4 won't bond the sheets, otherwise these would be my first choice. In any situation weldon 16 or 40 can be added on the inside for a leak free bond. 16 won't be pretty due to the bubbles it forms when setting, but it is easy and performs well.

Good luck

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a small pinhole (sounds like what you have) you can also use some aquarium sealant. Just allow it a day or two to fully cure and you'll be leak free. With only a pinhole the structural integrity of the fuge won't be compromised, so you don't necessarily need to use more glue.

tunicata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem with a DIY sump I bought. Considering it was a small hole, and I figured I knew where it was (water would only go down to a certain level and only leak from one corner seam) it would be no big deal.

I used aquarium sealant and it works for a few days then leaks again. After a few months it changed color...yellow and purple.

I used two different silicone aquarium sealants. The leakage wasn't that bad and I just dealt with unhooking the sump every 2-3 mos. A PITA.

So, now I've bought weldon 4 and 16. I was told 16 would be my best bet for an annoying hole. I haven't used it yet. I'm letting the sump dry out a bit.

Good luck.

ServantSoldier

pro am
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aquarium sealant won't work on acrylic.. it can't bond to this particular plastic. weldon or equivalent will be your only option.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 102 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back