Adding a tang

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I already know the answer before I ask this though I want to know if it is possible. I already add a Purple Tang in my tank (love it, eats very well) and I thought that was going to be my last fish, unless I upgrade and get a bigger tank. Though I did see a beautiful powder brown tang at my LFS and was wondering if it was possible to add it with my purple tang being establish. I feel like the answer is a no but was wondering.

TIA

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size of the tank. Could be asking for trouble or they may learn to tolerate. If the tank is small then better not.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s always a gamble. If you can redo the rock scape it may help disturb the purple’s territory enough to make it seem like they are both new. Just a thought

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size of the tank. Could be asking for trouble or they may learn to tolerate. If the tank is small then better not.

Its a 120, 4'x2'x2' and right now everyone is happy in the tank

It’s always a gamble. If you can redo the rock scape it may help disturb the purple’s territory enough to make it seem like they are both new. Just a thought

I did think about redoing the rock work as it might help. I know my purple is the king of the tang

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit on the small side for a powder brown and a purple together long term imo. Likely to have aggression in that size tank once they're both 7"+

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit on the small side for a powder brown and a purple together long term imo. Likely to have aggression in that size tank once they're both 7"+

im thinking you might be right...time to get a bigger tank and get the tangs i really want

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder brown and most acanturus tangs need 6-8 feet of swimming space. Adding any tangs to a single tang is a worst case scenario — likely to end poorly. The resident tang has been able to keep others “out”. That’ll be an expectation difficult to break :(

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.76/

Hes in the tang with a tomini tang that is smaller than him and they both seem to be doing fine, been looking for sings of aggression and honestly havent seen any on the tang...now my clownfish are a different story they like to chase each other around

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back