Adding LED bars for ‘pop’

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have my tank lit with GHL Mithras. They are providing the coverage I want with the target par I had in mind. I am considering adding an LED bar towards the front to provide more ‘pop’ or fluorescence. Is this something I can easily do without causing the ‘windex’ look or significantly impacting my par (No more than 15% increase in par is target). A newbie type question, hoping someone with more led experience than I could advise

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the “windex” look? You could definitely add something like a AI blade glow and keep the intensity down for the color pop without much PAR added

OP
OP
ThaBeast

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What’s the “windex” look? You could definitely add something like a AI blade glow and keep the intensity down for the color pop without much PAR added
Windex look=very blue tank. Mine’s set between 12.5-14k, I like the overall color and appearance just want to add some actinic pop without washing the tank to the blue look. I was thinking of using the ai blade glow

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pop that you are reffering to will most likely be in the 400nm range which will be blue heavy and will probably be what you are reffering to as windex look.

Depending on your current lighting schedule, the blue addition will change your existing K rating throughout the day randomly according to your schedule. You can adjust when it comes on if you don't like the blue...like skip in morning and evening...assuming you ramp up/down your lights, and turn on when most of your whites are on the highest.

Imo the most pop can be seen in dusk/dawn if you ramp lights and still enjoyed throughout day with more whites but just a little less Suttle. I think the full exposure of the 400nm range lights throughout the day give the corals more pop 24/7.

Since you don't like that bluish look. I think you would be better off just keeping your lights as is. The mitras don't have those nice deep cool blue look you get say from ecotech
They are far from it. I have had them both and the ecotech is far superior in producing coral pop, but it's bluer.

I would just keep what you have. If your lights are a little old. Just replace the uv led in the pucks and that may get you back to what you want.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have MH lights with 14k bulb, I added 2 OR3 bars for that 'pop'. The MH lights are on during the day and turn off at 7pm, the OR3's are on from 5pm to 9pm, so only 2 hours of overlap. The OR3 is not too blue IMO, rather a more soothing blue compared to my AI prime 16

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bit of a hodgepodge set up. 48” tank with A ReefBreeders Photon v2 32 and ReeFi Uno 2 Pro for the main lights with a ReefBreeders 24” Blue/UV Lumen Bar attached to the Photon. Corals definitely seem they like it. I have Torches, Acros and a few montis where the light illuminates.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my display tank is 100% Orphek. I run Orphek Icons with OR3 Icon supplements. Its interesting that the OP states they want more pop on their GHL mitras. I went down this road years ago when I had GHL mitras on my display tank. I really loved those lights. They were the best controllable lights I have ever had. The programming IMO is the best, but they lack the pop of the newer lights like Orphek and Ecotech. I thought they would come out with new pucks, but they never did. That is why I have Ecotech on my frag tank and Orpheks on my display.

I totally agree that the Orpheks actinic (Blue plus) look really nice. Its not like the Ecotech blue's...I would say a little more crisp light. They are both different, but they are both spectacular! They give the wow factor for sure. I have coral pop all day long on both tanks, and I'm really happy with my choices on these 2 aquariums.

OP
OP
ThaBeast

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah my display tank is 100% Orphek. I run Orphek Icons with OR3 Icon supplements. Its interesting that the OP states they want more pop on their GHL mitras. I went down this road years ago when I had GHL mitras on my display tank. I really loved those lights. They were the best controllable lights I have ever had. The programming IMO is the best, but they lack the pop of the newer lights like Orphek and Ecotech. I thought they would come out with new pucks, but they never did. That is why I have Ecotech on my frag tank and Orpheks on my display.

I totally agree that the Orpheks actinic (Blue plus) look really nice. Its not like the Ecotech blue's...I would say a little more crisp light. They are both different, but they are both spectacular! They give the wow factor for sure. I have coral pop all day long on both tanks, and I'm really happy with my choices on these 2 aquariums.
You are correct about the Mitras. I love these lights, the controllability and build quality is awesome. I was able to dial in the color I want & have the shimmer I desired. Looks like the old MH setups I used to have without all the heat. Of course I'm a tinkerer and cannot leave things alone which is why I was thinking of adding blade grows or orphek uv bars.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the controllability of the GHL mitras is hard to beat, and I loved the cloud feature on them. The random clouds moving over my aquarium was awesome to watch as it moved from fixture to fixture. Controlling that delay made the difference. I miss that. I ran them for like 8 or 9 years. They grow the heck out of corals and are rock solid. It was only after selling some of my corals and seeing them in other tanks that I really noticed that I was missing allot of pop that other people had. Some of my corals like torches looked totally amazing under say Orphek or Ecotech, but didn't have that fluorescents or pop under the mitras. I was also noticing at some of the LFS's as well after taking a coral home.

I used to say back then I should have just bought some OR3 suppliments for the mitras and saved some money. My advice if you must have the pop, would to get the OR3 icons. This way you can control home much fluorescence pop you put into your aquarium and at what time and make it silky smooth transition. It will blend well with the mitras. i would get 2 fixtures.

1 - blue plus
1 - sky blue

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back