Adding new fish to 20 gal with 6 line wrasse….

alyssaphen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 line wrasse who has been alone in my 20 gallon tank for roughly 4 months (since late October when I lost all of its other tank-mates to a horrible ich outbreak). According to my research, it appears the 6 line will likely not take kindly to any new tank mates (and I’d like to avoid sending any new fish to a certain death)… Any suggestions on what kind of fish might be a suitable match to the 6 line’s dominance? Should I attempt to catch the 6 line and put it in an acclimation box? Or is there no hope, and should I just trade my 6 line in at my LFS? Thanks!!!

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had a problem with my six line, but it was not the very first fish. I have an aggressive four stripe Damsel and I separated it from new fish with an egg crate in the tank when I added them, until the new fish were well acclimated. It had killed a green chromis, and bullied a small coral beauty to death. But after I used the egg crate, I stopped having problem with new fish.
I think you could try a damsel, a clown or a dotty back as they should be able to stand up on their own. Avoid a fire fish or a cardinal or other peaceful fish as they probably would be bullied. Also make sure you have plenty good hiding places. I never had a dotty back, but I understand that they can be very aggressive.
You could also try to add 2 of these fish at the same time to spread the aggression. However, your tank is small, I would not add more that 2.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 line wrasse who has been alone in my 20 gallon tank for roughly 4 months (since late October when I lost all of its other tank-mates to a horrible ich outbreak). According to my research, it appears the 6 line will likely not take kindly to any new tank mates (and I’d like to avoid sending any new fish to a certain death)… Any suggestions on what kind of fish might be a suitable match to the 6 line’s dominance? Should I attempt to catch the 6 line and put it in an acclimation box? Or is there no hope, and should I just trade my 6 line in at my LFS? Thanks!!!
I would just trade the 6 in at the LFS. They’re nasty and even more so in a nano tank. Besides, there’s other fish with just as much colours but not the aggression. E.g. Helfrichi Firefish, Pink Streaked Wrasses.
CD667854-9331-440B-B475-CE45F2774612.jpeg

Ryebreadiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will harass or even kill just about anything new in the tank. Egg crate dividers and acclimation boxes can be hit or miss. You can totally rearrange your tank (to make it feel like a new environment) which might work.
The easiest thing might be to trade the sixline in, get your other fish settled and then buy a new one. They are hardy, cheap and easy to find.

Back