Adding pulsing xenia to my new tank

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not true. It will release little bits of itself into the water and cause an outbreak. Your best bet will be to smother it with super glue.
Thats how I got my first outbreak 20+ ago I had no idea, but it will definitely spread them.

Best to kill them with kalk paste and turn off your flow, it looks easy to get to before it spreads. Those are bad business when they infest and it will! It can live in filtration and pipes not always visible, when they are your lucky because you can get to it.

Look into it, there's tons of good information on here about them.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats how I got my first outbreak 20+ ago I had no idea, but it will definitely spread them.

Best to kill them with kalk paste and turn off your flow, it looks easy to get to before it spreads. Those are bad business when they infest and it will! It can live in filtration and pipes not always visible, when they are your lucky because you can get to it.

Look into it, there's tons of good information on here about them.
wait even smothering with superglue can cause an outbreak? I didnt know that.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait even smothering with superglue can cause an outbreak? I didnt know that.
Yeah you really want to melt them, kalk melt is easy but just be careful of it landing on corals, best to turn off flow, I try to do it before they get into the main display, same rule applys.

OP
OP
R

Richard1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys I am super stressed I keep finding unwanted guest in the tank….I am super scared cause now I gotta deal with that stupid sea anemone, but also now a tiny starfish is in my tank. This starfish has mixed reviews so idk what to do. I am super stressed and honeslty this is my fault for not researching crap before adding that rock with the micro algae on it. Every time I look at the tank I find something going wrong. Like today I had to flip over 2 snails since they couldn’t get back up. They could of easily died. Idk what I am doing wrong. Here’s a picture of the starfish…

Attachments

• 6812F14A-EB10-4A8E-8F60-46BC63FBD673.jpeg
    6812F14A-EB10-4A8E-8F60-46BC63FBD673.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 34

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
guys I am super stressed I keep finding unwanted guest in the tank….I am super scared cause now I gotta deal with that stupid sea anemone, but also now a tiny starfish is in my tank. This starfish has mixed reviews so idk what to do. I am super stressed and honeslty this is my fault for not researching crap before adding that rock with the micro algae on it. Every time I look at the tank I find something going wrong. Like today I had to flip over 2 snails since they couldn’t get back up. They could of easily died. Idk what I am doing wrong. Here’s a picture of the starfish…
Part of reefing is the hitchhikers, most are harmless but you may wind up with some bad ones. The asterina stars are usually harmless but some may eat coral. Up to you if you want to toss it or not.
The snail thing is annoying, astrea are great for cleanup but can’t flip themselves over.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this little short legged ones, they aren't super invasive. The long legged ones have taken over my tank though, wouldn't recommend those.
asterina starfish will take over i have finally had enough of them i have easily 300+ in my 120, and recently bought a 70$ harlequin shrimp to take care of the infestation! It is a problem I could have taken care of when I noticed the first couple.

Attachments

• 20220416_133612.jpg
    20220416_133612.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20220410_200240.jpg
    20220410_200240.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20220410_143124.jpg
    20220410_143124.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
R

Richard1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
asterina starfish will take over i have finally had enough of them i have easily 300+ in my 120, and recently bought a 70$ harlequin shrimp to take care of the infestation! It is a problem I could have taken care of when I noticed the first couple.
I really really like that shrimp! If I had an outbreak of those star fish could I get one of those for my 13 gallon tank with my 2 clownfish and my snails and corals?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin will quickly eat all the stars and then starve if you don’t supply stars to feed it with - which can get expensive fast. They can clean out much larger systems in weeks - think of them as the mandarins of the invert world.
Bumblebee shrimp will eat stars but will find other things to eat when it runs out.
I’m pretty sure my old emerald crab would’ve eaten stars - everything else was on the menu.

OP
OP
R

Richard1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harlequin will quickly eat all the stars and then starve if you don’t supply stars to feed it with - which can get expensive fast. They can clean out much larger systems in weeks - think of them as the mandarins of the invert world.
Bumblebee shrimp will eat stars but will find other things to eat when it runs out.
I’m pretty sure my old emerald crab would’ve eaten stars - everything else was on the menu.
Yah I heard that you can keep 1 star fish in your filter and just cut off a leg a week so it’ll always be regrowing but idk I just want all these pest to go away especially that stupid sea anemone thing.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah I heard that you can keep 1 star fish in your filter and just cut off a leg a week so it’ll always be regrowing but idk I just want all these pest to go away especially that stupid sea anemone thing.
Peppermint shrimp or berghia nudibranches eat aptasia but it’s honestly less risk to just kill it yourself.
You’ll also save money long term removing the star yourself.
Lots of these pests are what makes saltwater so amazing - for every bad hitchhiker there are dozens of amazing ones contributing to the biodiversity of the reef!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that but do they require anything special to keep them alive Other than food?
No different than any other invert or shrimp, mine hides in a cave all day and everything i see her, she has a starfish in her grasp. I have not seen a difference in numbers yet, Its been maybe 3 weeks .

OP
OP
R

Richard1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp or berghia nudibranches eat aptasia but it’s honestly less risk to just kill it yourself.
You’ll also save money long term removing the star yourself.
Lots of these pests are what makes saltwater so amazing - for every bad hitchhiker there are dozens of amazing ones contributing to the biodiversity of the reef!
Yah since honeslty I don’t think imma worry about the pest rn they aren’t bothering anything and I only have 3 corals on the whole other side of the tank. I really like how interesting these pest are. I still really want pulsing Xenia tho. If I just left these pest in would they eat the Xenia? The aptasia is on its own rock far away from the main coral rocks. And it’s Been in the tank for more than a month now and it hasn’t spread anywhere and it’s barely getting bigger.

OP
OP
R

Richard1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No different than any other invert or shrimp, mine hides in a cave all day and everything i see her, she has a starfish in her grasp. I have not seen a difference in numbers yet, Its been maybe 3 weeks .
I haven’t kept salt water shrimp before but my sea snails are doing good only 1 died so far. When I used to have fresh water shrimp all of them died but they where only ghost shrimp. I honeslty would really like a small crab or shrimp that won’t bother the corals/fish/snails

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia spreads fast - you will want to remove that ASAP.
The star will most likely wind up being harmless.

Ghost shrimp are great at dying, I wouldn’t sweat it much.
There will always be a drawback for every fish and invert you can get, the trick is just to find the ones most suited for your tank.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back