Adding pump to Red Sea ReefMat 500 instead of plumbing it in

ttf5003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I bought a Red Sea Peninsula 350 a few weeks ago and am currently cycling it. I have not hooked up the Reef Mat 500 that came with it yet, or even opened the box. I understand you have to modify the return plumbing to run the water through it.

I've also been reading some reviews that people think it makes the water "too clean". Then I saw this BRS video where Ryan mentions it might be a good idea to put a pump on it and run it off a timer. I like this idea because I wouldn't have to modify anything and I could experiment more with how much it's removing from the water. Is anyone here doing this? Are there any downsides to putting it on a pump? What pump would you recommend?

Thanks,

Travis

It's specifically at 13:30

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say go for it as long as theres room to place it with the filter socks still there, and the skimmer will need a place to go too. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a pump.

OP
OP
T

ttf5003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the G2 sump you remove the filter sock tray to put the ReefMat in. I'm curious why you would need them if you have the Rollerfleece, I didn't think you'd run both.

Thanks,

Travis

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back