ADDING SHELLS TO TANK

Millsaps2378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! So my family is big into collecting shells and other cool things they find when they go to beaches on vacay and we got a few rare and cool shells from them that we wanted to add to the tank. Wasn’t sure if there was a process we needed to go through before adding them or if we needed to just make sure they were clean before adding them to the tank? Thanks for any advice in advance!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! So my family is big into collecting shells and other cool things they find when they go to beaches on vacay and we got a few rare and cool shells from them that we wanted to add to the tank. Wasn’t sure if there was a process we needed to go through before adding them or if we needed to just make sure they were clean before adding them to the tank? Thanks for any advice in advance!

I always made sure they were clean. Some conch and other spirals have tendency to hold air, but eventually it seems to escape.

Its great your family can combine two hobbies into one!

Bet your build thread will look pretty cool when you get around to posting photos & etc

OP
OP
Millsaps2378

Millsaps2378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always made sure they were clean. Some conch and other spirals have tendency to hold air, but eventually it seems to escape.

Its great your family can combine two hobbies into one!

Bet your build thread will look pretty cool when you get around to posting photos & etc
Awesome thanks for the info!

They have collected almost enough shells to have their own shell store in TN haha.

And the tanks gettin there! Got some lenses on the way to take some cool pics soon!

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about bleaching but was afraid of small traces of bleach getting into the tank even after rinsing and drying
Bleach in small amounts won't hurt reef tank. Some people have even experimented with dosing it. I'm not recommending that lol just saying it's not really a risk if some trace amounts make it in.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 77 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back