Adding T5s to my LEDs

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering adding a couple T5s to my current all LED set up.

My DIY LED set up is 72 3w LEDs on two 18" heat sinks over my 90 gallon.

24 XPG whites, 48 XRE blues. *4 drivers that I can dim using my apex. *

I'm getting amazing color and good growth with most of my coral. *IF I were two add a couple T5s bulbs what bulbs would be best? *What would be best for growth and what would be best for color? *I've had T5s before, but just had a 10k and blue plus to go along with my MHs. *So I don't know a ton about all the different t5s and what color they put out. *

When both the blues and whites are on at full power its very blue. *About a 20K look. *So i might go with a 10k T5, but what else should I go with? **

I

inactive

View Badges
I'm adding 2 blue plus to my 120w/24w LED set up... 39w Icecap retros welded to a fixture. Currently 505 finished with it.

OP
OP
Laird

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, Blue plus? I thought that would be too close to what the LEDs put out? My reason for adding the T5s is to get a larger range.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would use blue+ or figi purple.....i think the biggest problem is the led's are lacking in the green and red spectrum myself and some people have noticed that sps look great in there led only tanks but when moved to another tank the colors just aint there under t5's or mh....just my 2.... im not positive on this, but im really thinking this is the cause....a few red led's here and there would prolly help also....

OP
OP
Laird

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I don't want it to look more blue then it already is. If anything I want a little bit more of a crispt white look. I have to have my blues blasted because I don't know how yellow the white LEDs look.

OP
OP
Laird

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but would adding that make by tank overall look a lot bluer?

Heres my setup, it looks a lot more blue than it really is.
IMG_0454.jpg

ImageX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blue + bulbs arent blue... theyre like a 14k light... the name makes you think they're blue but theyre very cool white in color...

redhanded

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am running 48CW and 48RB leds and 2 48" blue+ t5's. In my eyes, the 50/50 blend of white and blue leds provide a12k-ish look. With the blue+ on it looks like 14k, and its very pleasing to the eye. I still wanna try some other bulbs, but for now, I like how all the colors look.

OP
OP
Laird

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went with Purple plus and a blue plus. Since my heatsink is pretty wide it makes it so the T5 bulbs are going to be right against the outside of the tank. I put a retro kit on each side of the heatsink. Should I put the purple or the blue plus in front and why?

CausticGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My purple has burned into a very white 10k look with a hint of purple. The blue+ is a a sky blue 12-14k look, I think it will help with the purple look LEDs leave you with when you use only the 2 different colors. IMO I would put blue+ in the front.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about doing the same thing but was worried that it would leave one side of the tank looking a different color than the other. Please post pics when you get them on and let us know what you think.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50/50 with an actinic on my mixed tank. I have them on for 4 hours for a high noon effect and like the look. I also like the fiji purple.

Bill

OP
OP
Laird

Laird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried both and I've decided I like the purple in front. My tank was already really blue and the purple plus was a perfect addition and gave me the exact look I wanted. Just like bill I plan to only run them for about 4 hours a day. Soon as I can get my hands on a decent camera I'll post pics.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool post pics I'm gonna get my fixture going here as soon as work gives me a break!!!!! Were swamped so i haven't started mine yet... I will be adding t5s to mine or I might stick with vhos since I already have them but notary Cora to choose from..... Is the purple plus the same as a Fiji purple???

Back