Additional LED light options

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

at the moment I am using a 8x54W T5 fixture over a Reefer 450 tank (20" wide)
The light coverage is great and we are preparing an upgrade to a 32" wide tank.
According to the manufaturer of the light fixture, the width is not a problem, but as I was a Kessil A360WE user before, I miss the shimmer in the tank.

With the extra width of the new tank, I could be adding some LED at the side of the T5 fixture to create some shimmer when T5's are not at 100%.

What are your suggestions?
I do not want to buy 4 new Kessils so well working light bars are also possible.

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know their are a few guy on the forum here that supplement LED's with T5's and vise versa. I personally have the Current USA Orbit Marine Pro's and i love them. The shimmer is not as bold as the Kessils but defiantly does the job.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know their are a few guy on the forum here that supplement LED's with T5's and vise versa. I personally have the Current USA Orbit Marine Pro's and i love them. The shimmer is not as bold as the Kessils but defiantly does the job.
Thank you. Are those Current USA Orbit PRO fully programmable?
They look promising.

reeferbuddy215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ur not afraid of using non brand name led lights like I use mars aqua 165watt dimmable full spectrum and I got 3 for $300 which has my corals in my 125 gal looking amazing, I may suppliment t5 soon since I ordered sps frags

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your T5 light? ATI? If so, just buy 2x reefbrite xho as they come with brackets to attach to sunpowers.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your T5 light? ATI? If so, just buy 2x reefbrite xho as they come with brackets to attach to sunpowers.
I have now Giesemann Matrixx which is a very good and sleek design.
IMG_5537.JPG
This is on the Reefer 450 which is being build down at this moment.

I checked out the reefbrite XHO yesterday evening. They are a good option and can hang nicely at each side of the Giesemann... a little bit of white paint and they blend in perfectly.
I will check the shipping options on those Reefbrites as I am not in US.
On the other hand, I found following other options:
- GHL lightbars. Fully programmable and come at almost the same price as the Reefbrites. I have a GHL Profilux computer which I can connect to the lightbars for programming.
- Giesemann Pulzar. Same maker as the T5's, but not sure about the performance and programming.
- selfmade RapidLED... here I am also not sure if I am handy enough. And doubtful about the choice of LED colour and types.

OP
OP
Janci

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ur not afraid of using non brand name led lights like I use mars aqua 165watt dimmable full spectrum and I got 3 for $300 which has my corals in my 125 gal looking amazing, I may suppliment t5 soon since I ordered sps frags
Hi, thank you for the information.
These Mars Aqua LED's are a good option. Sufficient wattage, colour, price.
The only thing that holds me back is how to mount them. They are quiet wide and next to the T5 fixturem they will come over the side of the tank I think.
Will keep them on the list anyway. I read many good reviews on these.

reeferbuddy215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 mars aqua 165watt units over my 125gal but I thought they are smaller compared to alot of units. But good luck finding lighting

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%

Back