Advice for New Tank (Cycle)

nooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I started second tank as I moved out of my parent's and didnt want to move the tank it self so I instead just went for a upgrade to larger tank, and its been almost a week and I have noticed that my Ammonia is 0 ppm with API and Red Sea test, Nitrite is 0 ppm and Nitrate is 0 ppm. This tank I used CaribSea Ocean Direct Natural Live Sand, Live rock from my old tank and 2 gallons of water from that tank and Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7. I added a bit of pellets to the tank hoping this would cause ammonia to go up sadly I couldnt test right away as i forgot some of my testing kit at my parent's. This is different then I how I did my first tank as 1.5 week into that tank I did add a Clown but dont want to cycle this way anymore. Not to sure what I can do here as I cant tell if it its cycled as I do have live rock and water from my last tank. Or should I add pure ammonia and test for few more weeks.
Thanks.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock you moved over was from an established tank, that is likely why you aren’t measuring nutrients. Are you cycled? Some will say yes. Others will say add more food or ammonium chloride. If you know for certain the live rock was moved from an established tank and that rock was there for a good period of time, then assume it’s cycled and add your first fish. If you doubt it, add half the amount of ammonium chloride recommended by Dr Tim and test. If it processes in 24 hours, you’re cycled!

Upvote 0

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are likely OK. Just know that you are not likely cycled, as in done-done and able to handle a dynamic even or something stupid, but you almost surely can slowly and smartly add some fish and progress along with the tank as it grows the breath and depth of the cycle. Stock slowly and feed smartly and you should be all set.

Upvote 0

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid advice above. Many will have different approaches, as stated, if you didn't let the cycled rock dry out or nuke it with chemicals- the bacteria is still alive. Go slowly adding fish

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

nooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the rock you moved over was from an established tank, that is likely why you aren’t measuring nutrients. Are you cycled? Some will say yes. Others will say add more food or ammonium chloride. If you know for certain the live rock was moved from an established tank and that rock was there for a good period of time, then assume it’s cycled and add your first fish. If you doubt it, add half the amount of ammonium chloride recommended by Dr Tim and test. If it processes in 24 hours, you’re cycled!
yes rock was from a 1.5 year old tank. Ill probably play it safe and add half the amount of ammonium chloride and see if processes it. I apricate the help.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back