Advice Needed: New Skimmer Setup and Performance in My Reef Tank

reefo420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a new skimmer to my setup Red Sea Sk-600, After replacing my bubble magus c5, and would appreciate some advice on its operation and performance.

My Setup:

Red Sea 425 XL (125 gal sys) plenty of rocks water is about 95 gal
  • ReefMat - 500
  • Red Sea Skimmer 600
My Current Levels:

Nitrate 30ppm
nitrite 0
ammonia 0
phos, 0.7
I've got it down from 80 to this in under a month just with a very large amount of chaeto + a 25% water change, so the levels are only getting better
so I got a better skimmer so I don't get to these bad levels again
My Concerns:

• It's been two days since I installed the skimmer, and I've noticed it's barely skimming. I'm aware that there might be a break-in period, but I'm unsure if I should make any adjustments.
  • I've kept the skimmer within the recommended water level (7" - 9"). Should I consider adjusting its height further?
  • Is there any specific tuning I should do to optimize its performance, considering it's paired with the ReefMat 500?
  • i've congifured the dial to medium and it's filling up the cup with a very wet skim, it's nearly fully opened, i don't know what i should do because when i adjust it more the bubbles pop under the neck should i adjust it differentely?
I'm looking for insights or tips from anyone who might have a similar setup or experience with these models. Any advice on optimizing my skimmer's performance and ensuring it works well with the ReefMat would be greatly appreciated!

TL;DR: Recently upgraded to a Red Sea Skimmer 600 alongside a ReefMat 500. Current tank levels are improving (Nitrate 30ppm, Phos 0.7) thanks to chaeto and water changes. The skimmer, set within the recommended water level and configured to medium, is producing a very wet skim and not functioning optimally (bubbles popping under the neck). Seeking advice for adjustments or tuning, especially from those with similar setups or experience with these models, to optimize skimmer performance.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything in your tank, are you feeding any fish food? It sounds like you have a new tank, and there is nothing to skim in a new tank.

OP
OP
R

reefo420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
System is 14 4months old, I'm feeding a cube a day, and nori every 3 days (half a sheet), and a few krill for my porcupine every 2 days, so there is a lot of food going in, the other skimmer i had raised, but it was rated for a much smaller tank so did i **** up by going to big of a skimmer or would it work fine if i rasied this one too?

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the skimmer been running? I've found that it can take a week or more for break in period sometimes and if after that initial week or so, try raising the height of the skimmer in the sump. Recommended operating depth doesn't always work.

OP
OP
R

reefo420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the skimmer been running? I've found that it can take a week or more for break in period sometimes and if after that initial week or so, try raising the height of the skimmer in the sump. Recommended operating depth doesn't always work.
it's only been running for 3 days but I bought it used, didn't know if it'd have to through the same thing for the plastic film, but yeah i'll wait for another week, thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back