Advice on tank migration needed

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be switching tanks soon and I've been trying to figure out the best way to tackle it. I'm switching from an old 72x24x24 Aqueon to a custom 72x30x24. The biggest issue I'm facing is I want the new tank in the same spot as the old tank. I'm going to be using all of my current equipment, rock etc the only thing changing is the tank and stand. A lot of the rock has coral on it so that's an issue as well. How would you tackle a switch this big?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done this a few times…

you might wanna bite the bullet and cop a few new
Walmart tubs and garbage cans… I use them in combo with furniture movers: placing tubs on the movers, adding my rock and filling with just enough water to keep em wet…often fish, et will go deep into the rock soon as your hands enter the tank…
you might also wanna use a few garbage cans for premixed Salt water

anyway, unload all of your stuff into tubs, fish in garbage cans w/airstones. here the furniture movers are helpful

also helpful is vinegar/citric acid
cheap airpump
sicce’s zero return pump
towels

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do a quick switch then the info above is spot on. If it will be some time before everything will be moved in maybe a stock tank if you have a place to set one for a while. I'm in the process of moving from a 72x24x24 to a 84x30x25 but am fortunate I can leave the old tank running and bring stuff over when I want. These are a few things I'm not sure I'll move over or not.
PXL_20240427_160848705.jpg

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done this a few times…

you might wanna bite the bullet and cop a few new
Walmart tubs and garbage cans… I use them in combo with furniture movers: placing tubs on the movers, adding my rock and filling with just enough water to keep em wet…often fish, et will go deep into the rock soon as your hands enter the tank…
you might also wanna use a few garbage cans for premixed Salt water

anyway, unload all of your stuff into tubs, fish in garbage cans w/airstones. here the furniture movers are helpful

also helpful is vinegar/citric acid
cheap airpump
sicce’s zero return pump
towels
I actually have a lot of that already. Several brute cans on wheels, the sicce ultra zero I use for random tasks, airpumps and stones, Citric acid for cleaning. I'm more worried about the coral than anything.

OP
OP
T

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to do a quick switch then the info above is spot on. If it will be some time before everything will be moved in maybe a stock tank if you have a place to set one for a while. I'm in the process of moving from a 72x24x24 to a 84x30x25 but am fortunate I can leave the old tank running and bring stuff over when I want. These are a few things I'm not sure I'll move over or not.
PXL_20240427_160848705.jpg
I'm going to try to do everything over a 3 day weekend.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for corals I got some cheap Aqueon circulation pumps; Amazon $10 Or BETTER a air pump with airstone, super high volume …underrated for maintaining corals in temporary conditions

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 36 28.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 42 33.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back